Who is using the Barnes Triple Shocks? / Like them?

Your certainly right about the opinions! I have heard good things about the accubond and goodgrouper has some good looking pics of one he recovered from an elk shot at 820 yards and performance looked great. I have yet to try them on game but did a little accuracy testing and in my rifle they matched nosler BT accuracy which on average with my best load was .385 some smaller and some larger. These were all three shot groups and were at 100 yards. The average was taken from 10 groups fired on two different days. I tested them at 200 and 300 and accuracy was stil in the 1/2 inch range. I was using 140 accubonds in 7mm cal. Let me know if those barnes work well in 22.250 ai cause I have been thinking of trying them in mine on some coyotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure I will have some dis-agree with me but from my experience triple SHOCK means 1 no expansion, 2 not a copperless land in my barrel,3 subpar accuracy not a bargain in my book.
B

[/ QUOTE ]
I had no idea that this topic would get so HEATED,so I figured that I would explain myself a little better.#1 no expansion (I shot these bullets out of my 300WM one season and harvested an elk a deer and an antelope not one of the three was a one shot kill,the elk for example took 4 shots to bring down 2 of the 4 shots went directly through the front shoulder 000000 of the 4 expanded the entry and exit hole was .308 sounds like a fmj to me.)
#2 not a copperless land in my barrel (I cant believe that I am the only one to mention this drawback ,after shooting these bullets I can honestly say that no other bullet has copper fouled one of my barrels worse than barnes.)
#3 Subpar accuracy (I could get about 1moa accuracy that is acceptable in short range applications but if I can get half moa with accubonds or sciroccos why bother? )
B

Ok so I'm an [censored]. I was just pointing out you made a poor choice of projectile for the intended job at hand. Guess I'm wrong for that.

I follow this with intrest because the Nation Forest that I hunt in will likely ban lead core bullets this year (Lead poisoning in the Condors).

I looked at the bullet poster that came in Handloader a couple years ago, where the guy tests all 30 cal/180 gr. bullets, and the Barnes X and Fail Safe expand down to 1,800 fps. Granted it is not a lot of expansion, but none of the conventioal bullets (WW Powerpoint excepted) expanded either.

I sight in to 600 yds, and consider that my personal max range (That is the max reliable range of my rangefinder). A 168 TSX should be going 2k at 600 (3100 fps).

Has anyone shot a deer at 600 yds with a Barnes X or TSX? Doug.

I have shot one whitetail deer at 612 yards with the barnes X and it worked. He never moved but I was using a 7mag and my begining fps was just over 3250 with a 140 grain. The exit hole was not as large as ones observed after closer shots but expansion was evident. They are not the best for longer ranges but if they ban lead core bullets as you said they will be your only choice. I have never recovered one from an animal due to complete pass through of the bullet but they have worked efficiently for "me" in the past.

Thought I'd throw in my .02 on the Accubond. I shot a nice 3pt. blacktail through both shoulders at 400 yards this past fall. Bullet went clean through, breaking both shoulders and backbone. Needless to say the buck never even tried to get up. This was with 7mm RUM and 140 Accubond doing approx 3400 (@ muzzle). I have always had good luck with Noslers, be it ballistic tip, partition, and now the Accubond. I have not tried the trople shocks, but I can say I have never been able to get a Barnes bullet to shoot with a Nosler, Sierra, or Hornady. I am going to try some more in the 6.5/280AI though. I like the look, and the BC, of their new 130gr Triple Shock.

OK, here is my 2 cents worth (the long version). I switched to barnes X bullets after a very bad experience with NBT's (7mm 140 grain). I had killed several deer VERY efficiently with the NBT's and one elk not-so-efficiently, all at medium ranges. The wounds were very devasting, usually with larger entrance wounds. I never found an intact bullet with the NBT's. THEN, I got a close shot (70 yards with a good rest)at the biggest deer that I have ever shot(36 to 38 inch wide rack 4x4). It was quartering away at about 45 degrees. I hit it behind the shoulder at about the second rib from the stomach which should have put the bullet through the lungs and into the inside of the opposite shoulder. The deer went down hard as was usually the case with the NBT's. It then got up and ran into the trees, never to be seen again. I tracked it for hours and over a mile until it started snowing and I lost the track. It hardly bled after the first 100 yards and continued to take an uphill path. Needless to say, NEVER again for the NBT's or the 7mm.

I switched to 168 gr. Barnes XLC's out of a 300wby. I have shot at two animals since the switch, both died with one shot. The first was a very large bodied cow elk at a distance of 150 yards. It was quartering away at a very steep angle. The bullet entered just infront of the left hip and traveled through the center of mass of the elk and was found embedded just under the skin on the right side of the neck. The bullet was fully expanded as advertised with all four petals intact. The elk went about a quarter of a mile before it died and left almost no blood trail due to internal bleeding.

The second was a 5x5 bull elk. It was broadside at just over 400 yards and at a steep uphill angle. The wind was blowing very hard (as usual in Wyoming). Now, if I were not sharing my experiences on the performance of the XLC bullet, I would never admit to the poor shot that I made. My excuses are the following: It was a long shot for the wind conditions, the shot was too hurried since I got a little excited after seeing the first elk in 4 weekends of hunting, and my wby is not a shooter with any bullet that I have tried (2 moa on a good day), which is a whole other story, I'll probably dump it before next season. Any way, I hit the bull square in the thickest part of the rear leg bone just below the hip socket. The bullet shattered the bone into pieces and continued straight into the hip socket of the opposite leg, shattering it also. The bullet was recovered just under the skin on the far side of the hind quarters. It was in a perfect 4-leaf petal, without any deformation or noticible loss of metal. The elk dropped harder than any that I have ever shot, kicked a couple of times, and died. After seeing that, I have a hard time imagining that the petals of the x bullets are prone to shearing or breaking off when they hit bone. My only concern is that neither of the two elk that I have shot with the x bullet has had an exit wound. So far, I don't see any reason to change from the Barnes, but I may try the TSX's.

Please be nice and don't flame me for admitting to the sub par shot.

Fishry, There is nothing wrong with the 7mm?, but the choice of the Nosler BT was probably your problem. You hit a rib at the angle you mentioned, and the bullet blew up and did not penetrate. My experience with NBT has shown a VERY rapid expansion. I agree with you on Barnes X bullets. FYI, the 168 TSX should be much more accurate than the Barnes XLC. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I shoot the TSX 180grain In a 300Win and it averages .4MOA and about 3150fps 29" barrel never tried the older style X's

In 300 wtby there is no reason not to go to 180 or 200 XXX bullets. The 168 just doesn't have enough retained energy in those situations to continue on. Plus for shooting longer ranges the 180-200s will buck the wind better.

At least thats what I'd try. All in all after all that bone smashing and depth of penetration, I doubt any other bullet could equal the performance.

Jeff

[ QUOTE ]
I say average hunters because they are NOT for Long Range Hunters! I repeat, Barnes are NOT for Long Range Hunters! These bullets are still solid copper with petals that just love to shear off at the very sight of bone and sinew, and that is if they petal (mushroom) at all. Remember, a bullet sheds impact velocity the farther out it hits flesh. Therefore, a Barnes that has slowed down to around 1800 fps will not open up reliably :

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the expansion threshhold for many game bullets including the Accubond and the Partition...1800 fps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have to put my $0.02 in. I love the Barnes, and have had impact velocities with Barnes X over 3450 fps and not sheared off petals in game. Shooting clay banks, I have not sheared off petals. This is only my exp, and I am not driving the bigger bullets anywhere near what the Ultra Mags &/or Allen Mags can. But I do agree with the folks to drive them as hard as you accurately can. In my experience, what Barnes lists as the max load is a max load in my rifles, if I make it that high. With one exception the most accurate load has been 0.5 gr off max loads in all my rifles. A Mark V 270 Weatherby Mag is the exception, and with 130 gr Barnes X it is getting 3400 fps and with the 130 TSX it is getting 3461 with very low ES using RL 22. I would try them out. This year I have 5 rifles now that need to draw blood to "try" something different out from bullets to calibers; problem is I only have 3 deer tags. I need to find some hogs to use as test subjects! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Man!

Someone should take some TSX's an load them from 1400-2000 fps in 100 fps increments with reduced loads using pistol powders. Shoot 10 each at wet telephone books and see the real expansion threshold. Barnes claims 1400 fps is the initiation of expansion threshhold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That is the expansion threshhold for many game bullets including the Accubond and the Partition...1800 fps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
But the Barnes will get to that velocity at a much shorter range than the plastic tipped bullets. I haven't tested the TSX's for expansion yet, but I would bet the farm on a Scirocco or Accubond (haven't tested the Interbond) to open up quickly and do serious damage at velocities the X and XLC's don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.