Who is all using a 7mm RUM?

quackwacker

Hey guys new to the forum been lurking for a while and thought I would join up. I was just curious as to who is all shooting a 7mm RUM for long range shooting? I have taken a few coyotes this weekend at the 500 yard mark and was very happy with the results. I am loading up my own ammo and I really enjoy this caliber. I did a search but I don't find much talk about that caliber on here. What do you all think about it as a long range round? Got any pet loads? Anyone loading up any super light bullets for long range predators? The good the bad the ugly...Let's have it.

I am shooting a 7RUM. Haven't gotten to test the peformance at long range yet. Shot a buck in north MO a few days ago at a whopping 53 yds! So much for the long open field shot I was hoping for.
I got a deal on some 150 gr Ballistic Tips really cheap so that's what I am shooting. I am using 90 gr of IMR 7828 SSC and the Federal 215 match primer and moly coated bullets. It is shooting right at 3400 fps from my 26" 700 and it is shooting under .5 moa at 100 yds. Performance on the deer was impressive considering the impact velocity and a shoulder hit. I am going to post pics and details hopefully today.
I personally wouldn't want to shoot anything less than 140 gr bullet. Not much to be gained on trajectory and hard on barrel life. The 140 BT should be impressive on varmints as far away as you can hit them. For deer and larger critters, the 140 and especially 160 gr Accubond would be hard to beat.

I shoot a Pacnor barrelled 7MM-UM as my long range deer rifle. I live in Kentucky, so by long range I mean 500 yards max. I shoot handloaded 140gr BT's pushed by IMR 7828 89gr barrel lenght is 27 + the Vias muzzle break. I get about 3425 fps, with one hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards, and 1/2" 3 shot groups at 200. My longest shot on deer has been a 409 yard 10 pointer, the BT performed well.
I did try some 120gr Barnes tripple shocks, with a wide variety of powder, with less than satisfactory groups, around 3/4" at 100. I was limited to my magazine length, and did not play around with the seating depth very much.

RidgeRooster

I am shooting 162 grain A-max's with 85 grain of RL22 not as fast as it could be, but very accurate. I am shooting a factory Sendero. I single feed my shells because I like them close to the lands.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts