Who hunts with a chassis rifle?

Hybrid chassis if that counts. GRS Warg, funky looking but oh so ergonomic.

QRMBgP_ElZp_5CiZ7ElIWAaa11mrwMvaVS1cWuUx_fJ-Xw6GG44NQ44_NdGnVqSHR3NX__MD6L9XdyMcxXJopHYldBGhIf6uhjxdX0XM1P-TkzUIMqrHH8h6vnIT322qc7b2nYPtGw=w1000
that is a nice stock easy to custom fit to yourself

It all depended on the hunt. I just got into chassis's this year actually. First one being an mpa comp, second being krg whiskey 3 and have a krg bravo (half chassis/half stock I guess) on its way. I've taken both the mpa and krg out this year on multiple coyote hunts. It took a bit to get comfy behind one after always having stocks. Once I did, the adjustability is awesome, and comfort is next level. Both these chassis are quite heavy and wouldn't want to carry them around. But for the coyote hunts they came on it was fantastic and will be using them a great deal this up coming winter season.

one thing to remember, a stock is more pleasant to hold, carry and shoot with in cold weather due to it not being metal

Same chassis xlr element two different barreled actions.

First photo Stevens 200 .45 cal muzzleloader
Second savage 7mm wsm.

Now sports a smoke composite butt stock to drop weight.

Attachments

• FD382B3C-1B4C-4D0F-AE29-E8D58C5BC2E7.jpeg
    FD382B3C-1B4C-4D0F-AE29-E8D58C5BC2E7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 150
  • 58BDA3E1-9887-431D-A960-93116E3D1AED.jpeg
    58BDA3E1-9887-431D-A960-93116E3D1AED.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 151
Something that is being mentioned as a CON to chassis that is real..... is weight. The lightweight carbon stocks come in around 1.8-2lbs ready to drop in the barreled action. A chassis is generally around 4.5-5.5 lbs. Lightweight chassis designs are in the 3.5-4 lbs range. XLR and MPA both offer a lighter package but you have to pay attention to the butt stock design and folding option. The MPA is the one I'd prefer with a folder if a person didn't plan any modifications.

I was able to modify my MDT LSS XL with folder down to 3.1 lbs from 4.1 lbs. The folder on the mdt is a beast of a piece and weighs 7 ounces on its own so I guess i'd be pretty close to 2.5lbs without a folder.

I mention all of this simply as a thought for those who have concern about weight. In the end this rifle with a 22" proof, bighorn tl3 action, tt diamond, Leuvx6hd 3-18x50, MDT LSS XL stock, TBAC 7 suppressor is 9 lbs 9 ounces or just a hair over 9.5lbs. Remove the can and folder and its a 8-8.2 lb chassis rifle ready to shoot. If you look closely you can pick out the machine work I did to get the weight down.

IMG_9815.jpg

Last edited:
Something that is being mentioned as a CON to chassis that is real..... is weight. The lightweight carbon stocks come in around 1.8-2lbs ready to drop in the barreled action. A chassis is generally around 4.5-5.5 lbs. Lightweight chassis designs are in the 3.5-4 lbs range. XLR and MPA both offer a lighter package but you have to pay attention to the butt stock design and folding option. The MPA is the one I'd prefer with a folder if a person didn't plan any modifications.

I was able to modify my MDT LSS XL with folder down to 3.1 lbs from 4.1 lbs. The folder on the mdt is a best of a piece and weighs 7 ounces on its own so I guess i'd be pretty close to 2.5lbs without a folder.

I mention all of this simply as a thought for those who have concern about weight. In the end this rifle with a 22" proof, bighorn tl3 action, tt diamond, Leuvx6hd 3-18x50, MDT LSS XL stock, TBAC 7 suppressor is 9 lbs 9 ounces or just a hair over 9.5lbs. Remove the can and folder and its a 8-8.2 lb chassis rifle ready to shoot. If you look closely you can pick out the machine work I did to get the weight down.

View attachment 218153
That's a sweet set up. I couldn't tell where you did the modification, so obviously you did a good job. That's almost exactly what my new set up is going to be except I think I'm going to try the clr magnesium set up. XLR is in grand junction and only about 3 hours away from and those guys are top notch imo.

That's a sweet set up. I couldn't tell where you did the modification, so obviously you did a good job. That's almost exactly what my new set up is going to be except I think I'm going to try the clr magnesium set up. XLR is in grand junction and only about 3 hours away from and those guys are top notch imo.
Yeah that's a solid set up for the weight. I did just notice on the magnesium stock they offer a folder option. For me that's a requirement after having one and how I use my rifle. If I didn't have my mdt stock already I'd not gone this route. I'd went with XLR or MPA and been done with it. Now that you mentioned it, I need to tell a friend who wants to build a rifle about the XLR folder.

I was able to modify my MDT LSS XL with folder down to 3.1 lbs from 4.1 lbs. The folder on the mdt is a beast of a piece and weighs 7 ounces on its own so I guess i'd be pretty close to 2.5lbs without a folder.

View attachment 218153

The magnesium xlr element with smoke composite grip and but stock is 28 ounces.

Yes and Mpa is close too without a folder. Like I said, they offer a lighter package but you have to pay attention to the folder and butt stock options.

the 28 oz includes the buttstock/grip which is less the 2 lbs. thought the MPA was over 3 lb?

Be curious to hear from someone who hunts late season mule deer and elk in the deep snow and pushes timber, in addition to shooting long range from vantage points. Seems like carrying a chassis In your hands for a quick timber shot when it's 5-10 degrees out would suck. Also be concerned with the chassis getting packed with snow if you push through snowy trees or happen to fall. Been interested in trying one but hesitant for the reasons above...

Absolutely. I run mine with a folder so that in the back and barrel down the stock is folded so it doesn't stick over my head. On my bike and snow bike the stock is folded and the barrel is up. This allows me to be able to set up my pack so the bottom is flush and I can sit and rest the pack on the seat. It is perfect for me.
Any pics of ur setup folded up in the pack? I been considering that option as well.

Be curious to hear from someone who hunts late season mule deer and elk in the deep snow and pushes timber, in addition to shooting long range from vantage points. Seems like carrying a chassis In your hands for a quick timber shot when it's 5-10 degrees out would suck. Also be concerned with the chassis getting packed with snow if you push through snowy trees or happen to fall. Been interested in trying one but hesitant for the reasons above...
I hunt wolves all winter. I carry my rifle in my pack riding snowmobiles and snowbikes. I don't know why the chassis would be worse than a trad stock. If anything a chassis is easier to clean out since the barrel channel is open. If it's that cold out I'd suspect you are wearing gloves, I do. I have zero issue with a 1 lb trigger and a lighter glove. I also train with gloves so it's a non-issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.