For the guys who hunt LR with heavy rifles, a question:

That's about where I think I'm at with my decision overall. Even though the rifle is heavy, I have full confidence that it will drill any target that I put it on. It's a 1/2 minute gun when I do my part. 3/4 on a bad day.
I don't know what it is with me and the light rifles, but I struggle with them at long ranges. That may change if I were behind a light weight with either a chassis or a pistol grip, but that's TBD.
10#'s. I carry this rifle in a eberlestock team elk pack. The pack is not the lightest but it has a frame and can handle a load. I've packed 3 wolf pelts and heads which added 60 lbs. I was sitting at 105lbs when I weighed it. I generally carry my rifle in the scabbard and can pull the rifle out without dropping the pack. I also use it bow hunting and have an attachment that allows me to access without removing the pack. The hands free scabbard system is ideal for me. If I need to I can sling it, and do if I am stalking. If not, it rides the pack and I am not fighting the sling. I use my binos a lot, frequently, so being hands free, problem free is valuable. I did load this pack for a 5 day trip and it was stuffed but it did barely fit it all in. Something to consider if you desire.

Attachments

• IMG_9815.jpg
    IMG_9815.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 95
Since it's not mentioned I use the hip belt for my G3 sniper Eberlstock with a holter attached to it and carry 14 + lb rifles all day comfortably on my hips. I can't use a sling that long. Allows for very quick shooting. I'd need be I use one of their smaller pack on my shoulder with their shooting rest on the outside. I don't use a pod.

The perfect weight for a rifle is the one you have absolute confidence in making any shot that is presented. I started carrying my Sendero in my Badlands pack rifle carrier years ago and never gave it thought after that. One more vote for trekking poles AGAIN to help carry any load including a rifle. Another vote to take another 10 lbs off your own weight versus a rifle or anything else in pack. Weight carried is the perspective of the person who may be 6'4" 250 or 5'9" and 170. Its all about your conditioning and size does matter in some instances. I will not give up my Sendero (weight) just because of the confidence I have in it and I have never weighed it. I know it weighs more than 8 lbs. 😉 No point from my perspective. The only qualifier I would make is if I knew the shots available were going to be reasonable range of less than 400 yards, then a different lighter rifle option may be worth it. Heck, my .270 begins to look real nice at those ranges.
A rifle that is about the same weight and barrel profile of a sendero has always seemed like a perfect balance of weight and long range shoot-ability.

A rifle that is about the same weight and barrel profile of a sendero has always seemed like a perfect balance of weight and long range shoot-ability.
As I get more funding available in the budget, I'm going to try different barrel contours on different rifles.
So far I know that I shoot significantly better with near vertical pistol grips or thumbhole stocks. I don't know what it is with me and a standard stock design, but we don't seem to get along very well. There is much room for me to improve there.

Barrel contour- My 300 is a 26" McGowen 10 with a 2" radial on the end. It's a heavy barrel, and I love it. Where I want to experiment is where I can maintain the performance and sacrifice some weight. I know I don't need a 10 to shoot well at long range, but I also know that I don't do well long range with a #2

I'm addicted to the idea of a 10-12lb 338LM but also dropping a kit in my DTA would only cost me 3lbs and save me thousands ha
But.. new stuff!
Ha

I didn't read every post to this thread, but I am surprised how many people carry 13+ pound rifles through the mountains. Aye Kurumba. You must be some hard nose son of a guns.

I didn't read every post to this thread, but I am surprised how many people carry 13+ pound rifles through the mountains. Aye Kurumba. You must be some hard nose son of a guns.
I don't think people hunt the mountains as much as they claim. I was fine with 13 but man 10 is just all around way better. ha ha

I don't think people hunt the mountains as much as they claim. I was fine with 13 but man 10 is just all around way better. ha ha
I did read your post actually and couldn't agree more. The amount of people who say they "Put on 10 miles today" far out number that people you see 5+ miles from the truck. lol
Not to bash anyone or any style of hunting, it's just an observation I've made over the years.

I did read your post actually and couldn't agree more. The amount of people who say they "Put on 10 miles today" far out number that people you see 5+ miles from the truck. lol
Not to bash anyone or any style of hunting, it's just an observation I've made over the years.
I think its perception of terrain. Some folks struggle in terrain others would not. I am not different. Hunting for sheep is much more difficult than antelope. I had no issue packing my PRS 15lb rifle hunting antelope but that thing never left the house when chasing high country muley's or frank church wilderness hunts.

I carried a 14 lb rifle for several years to hunt marmots. That rifle killed several in the 1300-1400 yard range. I was hunting on the continental divide in western CO. Altitudes were timberline to 12500. My pack weighed about 55 lbs. that weight is just more than I find enjoyable any more. I have a new long range rifle being built that should come in at 9-10 lbs scoped. For elk I use a NULA .284 that comes in at 7 lbs scoped. Love that gun. Shoot it regularly to 500 yds, with minute of marmot accuracy. The older I get the lighter my pack gets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts