White deposits in barrel ?

Triggernosis

I noticed some white "salty"? looking deposits in the muzzle of my barrel today - they extended down the barrel as far as I could see and were in "lines" mainly. What are they?

Background info.: I shot about 40 rounds last weekend when I notice my accuracy falling off and decided to run a couple of patches of Hoppe's down the bore. Shot a couple of more rounds and packed up for home, intending to do a thorough scrubbing once I received my new cleaning equipment that I'd order from Russ Haydon this week.

I ran a couple more patches of Hoppe's down the bore today to protect it until my order arrives and I can give it a good cleaning.

What rifle, what caliber, what ammo were you using?

Could be copper fouling that is corroding but generally this takes some time.

May be corrosive ammo depending on what ammo you are shooting.

We need more information to give you a good idea.

No matter what get it cleaned out, could be nothing big but could also be something that is very hard on your barrel!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
It's a .270 and I've benn shooting factory 130 gr. Hornady SST's.

I swabbed it with a couple of patches wet with Hoppe's this weekend and stood it muzzle down over a piece of white plastic. This morning, there was some bluish leakage from the barrel, so I'm now guessing it was probably, like you said, some corroding copper fouling from where I'd swabbed it at the range.
Once I receive my cleaning stuff I'll give it a good scrubbing to get the rest of the copper out.

If your in a high humidity area, it is important to keep the copper fouling out of a bore that will be stored for any period of time. Or keep it well oiled. The reason is because moisture can get trapped under the copper fouling and in severe cases cause bore rust and pitting. I am sure you are not to this point, sounds like simple copper oxidation is all but get it cleaned out and keep it oiled until you get it cleaned out.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
Roger that.
Yes, I live in eastern N.C. and in the summer here you almost need gills to survive the humidity.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.