WHICH WOULD BE BETER ????

JRY46

IM GOING TO BUY A NEW GUN FOR LONG RANGE HUNTING, 300 - 400 YARDS. I THINK I'VE NARROWED IT DOWN TO EITHER A SAVAGE 12FVSS IN 300WSM WITH 26" HEAVY BARREL OR THE 16FSS WITH A 24" BARREL ALSO IN 300WSM. WHICH ONE DO YOU GUYS, OR GALS, THINK WOULD BE BETTER? HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BARREL LENGTH AND SIZE? I THINK I HAVE READ EVERY POST ON THIS SIGHT....TWICE!! TRYING TO NARROW DOWN MY CHOICES BUT THE MORE I READ THE MORE I CANT MAKE UP MY MIND. I'LL BE RE-LOADING MY OWN AMMO SO I CAN FINE TUNE IT AND SEE WHAT SHE LIKES. ANY ADVISE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS ......
shocked.gif

If your type of longrange hunting includes carrrying the rifle around, than I would think twice before buying a 26" heavy barreled rifle.
Heck, I hate even carrying my heavy varmint rifles and they don't take me as far from the truck as biggame hunting does.

Just my 2 cents - VH

jry,

Id go with the 12bvss, the laminated stocks feels really good while shootin, savage makes a flimsy synthetic stock, the 12fvss/bvss both weigh in at about 12 pounds with scope, either way you go savge makes great shooting rifle.
Good Shootin,
Brian

THE MAJORITY OF MY DEER HUNTING CONSISTS OF CLIMBING UP A TREE OR TOWER BEFORE DAYLIGHT AND COMMING DOWN AFTER DARK SO THE WEIGHT IS NOT MUCH OF A CONCERN. I WAS MAINLY CONCERNED ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE IN BARREL LENGTH AND SIZE. I KNOW WHEN WE SIGHT IN GUNS AT MY BUDDIES HOUSE, SOME OF THE LARGER CALLIBERS WE SHOOT THAT HAVE SMALLER BARRELS TEND TO START WONDERING AFTER THE 2ND OR 3RD SHOT UNLESS YOU LET THEM COOL DOWN A WHILE. IT TOOK ME 2 WEEKS TO CONVINCE MY WIFE AS TO WHY I NEEDED A NEW RIFLE, AND I DONT WANT TO BUY SOMETHING THAT WONT SHOOT LIKE I HOPE IT WOULD. THANKS FOR ADVICE SO FAR.........JRY

jry,

your going to lose a bit of velocity and accuracy on the 116, since your not lugging the thing around the 12fvss or 12bvss will work very well, Between my relitives and i we own five 12bvss, 223,22/250,25/06, and two .308win, all these guns will shoot under 1/2 for five shots with good reloads, also with that 300wsm you can load it with 125gr nosler bt and make it a hell of a varmit rig.
Good shootin,
Brian

JRY46

Welcome!

Please don't type in all caps as it is much harder to read. Thanks much.

[ 02-28-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Jry I own a 116 in 300RUM it is a very accurate rifle.Will shoot most bullets in one hole @ 100yds.With the muzzle brake off it has a 26" barrel and will shoot fast enough to kill any deer I know of!!As a matter of fact it has already killed 2 with 110gr Sierra hollow points.

I own the 16 in 300 WSM and my hunting buddy has the 12 in 300 WSM. I have had mine a couple years and have worked up a decent load for it. Using the load developed for my rifle, I have shot several 3 shot groups in 3" to 4" at 400 and 500 yards with both rifles. We have not done any load development for his yet. They also both shoot one version or another of the Federal Premium ammo into less then an inch at 100 yards. For longer sessions at the bench, I would take the 12 hands down. For caring across CO, NM, etc., the 16 will do anything you need done with a factory rifle.

Keith Roberts

hi guys!
i just ran into a friend of my dads that has a 116 with the factory fluted barrel with muzzle break and the adjustable trigger in 300 win mag that he wants to sell. what do you guys think about this one? i just about made up my mind on what i wanted to get and then i found out about this one. the one good thing is my father-in-law has 300 win mag dies and a bunch of new brass that i can "borrow". im glad the guy likes me!! thanks again for all the great avdice!! jry
p.s. sorry for the caps!!!

Well i finally did it!! After weeks of reading books, magazines and reading almost every post on this site, yesterday I came home with a savage 16 in 300wsm and 2 boxes of federal premium ammo. If everything goes acording to plan and I get everything ready I'm going to sneak off to the range this week and make some noise!!Thanks for all the advice and I'll let you know what happens!! j.r.y.

I purchased a 300 rum sendero and will be reloading for it soon, I am a nosler accubond fan with my 338 but not sure what I will use for my hunting round or my range rounds on the 300. Any suggestions out there ? I shoot 100 to 300 yards with my 338 and it will probably be my primary hunting rifle, the 300 will be mostly my range gun and be shooting from 200yrds to 650 yards. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on powder and bullets ?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.