Which turkey gun?

Remember a turkey gun is a rifle. It's aimed not pointed like in wing shooting. Sight in carefully.
just missed a good bird in OK cause I didn't double chk my zero after airplane trip( red dot way low after caareful range work) and 5 dead birds last year at 40-50 yds From same setup ( gun and ammo).
9 TSS , Benilli M2 with custom porting and choking.

Benelli shotguns are very good as are the Franchi that I just purchased but are at least twice the amount he's looking to spend. If you have shot the Weatherby and liked it then I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. As turkeyguide mentioned I would definitely go with a short barrel along with a good full or x full choke and pattern it out to about 40 yards and go hunting!

I am looking for a new shotgun for turkey hunting. I've always been a big game hunter and pheasant, but am going to try turkey this spring now. I'm trying to decide between the Weatherby Element turkey or the Mossberg 930 turkey.....

What are the pros and cons between the 2?
The gun don't really make much of a difference. Usually bragging rights. Retay is the name you hear the most in turkey hunting circles these days. I've never been a fan of Mossberg, but they do make an affordable gun. 23 inch barrel is nice to have for making the last positioning move on most shots. The choke is important William at Sumtoy makes a good one as well as Carlson chokes. Big thing is know your gun before you go hunting.

I've got no experience with either but mossberg has been making excellent turkey guns for as long as I remember. I've used a cheap stoeger model 2000 12 gauge until switching to a Franchi 20 gauge last year. There's so many choices I wouldn't narrow it down to two unless you've handled them.
I like all the shotguns you guys have talked about, but where it is legal, a .17 WMR is the way to go. Cheap and quiet with a .17 caliber hole all the way through is neat-o.

I am looking for a new shotgun for turkey hunting. I've always been a big game hunter and pheasant, but am going to try turkey this spring now. I'm trying to decide between the Weatherby Element turkey or the Mossberg 930 turkey.....

What are the pros and cons between the 2?
In my humble opinion the shotgun you have is the best Turkey gun. You don't need a special shotgun to get a turkey. I've got them with a Remington 870 20 ga, Remington 1100, Remington 11-87 and currently with a Browning A5 using 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch shotgun shells and
Federal Black Cloud #4 shot. Don't need special turkey ammo at $2 to $5 per shell. I do however subscribe to turkey choke tubes or in the event of a fixed choke Full choke. A combination of any shotgun choked full or better and shooting the Black Clouds rolls any turkey and they don't get up. I bought a box of 25 shells many years ago and am still shooting the same box. One shot = 1 Turkey makes ammo last a long time.

I agree with comments about chokes. I would try several if you have time and money. I settled on Rhino. Second pick Patternmaster. Long range turkey shooting is no more necessary than long range rifle hunting but that's the name of this website so people gravitate to it are interested in squeezing out the last little bit of accuracy and distance from there weapons.
I don't take rifle shots beyond 300 yds. Just my skill level , but I want my setup good enough to go longer .
I don't take turkey shots beyond 40 yards if at all possible but I have killed one at fifty on the last day of a hunt. Once again I want the setup good enough to safely take that shot.
Do I need rifles and shotguns, no. It's just a hobby I have enjoyed for over 50 years. Sorting thru the subtle details of rifles and shotguns is a source of pleasure.

Attachments

• 430E07E8-ED01-435E-93B7-751FC98819CD.jpeg
    430E07E8-ED01-435E-93B7-751FC98819CD.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 81
Very under rated and not often even mentioned, the Remington V-3 turkey-pro...I've owned about all over 5 decades + and love this little semi...feels like the old WW 1300's in your hands..worth a good look, the huge features help in the dark..
20220518_092601.jpg

Very under rated and not often even mentioned, the Remington V-3 turkey-pro...I've owned about all over 5 decades + and love this little semi...feels like the old WW 1300's in your hands..worth a good look, the huge features help in the dark..
View attachment 373589
Frank is that the original recoil pad on that? Looks like it'll really cushion the mag loads

Last edited:

Recent Posts