Which turkey call do you use?

Len, we've had great luck with the Knight and Hale Yella Hammer friction call. Cabelas has it for about $20 and it flat out works. I have also used the Cody friction calls and have had pretty good luck with them but I don't think they have the same affect. For diaphram calls, try either the H.S. Strut or Primos packs where you get a small selection of calls and the instructional DVD. My son just got the H.S. Strut mouth calling 101 with a few diaphram calls and within a week he's good to go.

I had real good luck with the Cody call a couple of years ago.
I did get another that works in the rain the Cody didn't.

Mike

I still don't have a good turkey picture. I'd like to master the art of calling for that purpose.

My dad has been making turkey calls for around 25 years. The only model is the slate type call. So I pretty much have been using his since I was a youngin. In the early 80's I won a open division calling contest with my dads call once in Houston and finished 3rd once and 4th once (friction division) in Dallas at the national calling contest there. Those were the only three contests I entered.

He only makes numbered/personalized calls now. I for got to mention they are all hand made too.

I can use a mouth call, but don't. We guided turkey hunts some years ago and I got used to calling for the hunters, so I never really needed to be hands free. When you've called in the number of turkey's that I have you know what you can get a way with, so hands free isn't an issue.

Len...
I think if you really want to be a good turkey killer you need to have as many calls in your vest as possible... All the calls work, but for some strange reason some calls just work better than others on certain days....

Jason

I use about one of everything. My go to call is a lynch fool proof box call made in Liberty, MS. I also like to use a boatpaddle call made by quakerboy to locate. My best sounding calls are the Cody glass call and a new glass call from magnoliagamecalls.com. I also like the mouth calls... the black diamond by Preston Pitman works good to me.

DoubleG

Your dad better hold on to that call. It is amazing at how much collectors will pay for calls. It is probably worth something...

DoubleG

Len...
I think if you really want to be a good turkey killer you need to have as many calls in your vest as possible... All the calls work, but for some strange reason some calls just work better than others on certain days....

Jason

+1 Absolutely correct
Skip

Len

I agree with Jamaro use several different calls to get a response.

Some days a gobbler wants one type of call only (Box,Slate,mouth,
wing bone,etc).

First thing in the morning I try to get a response by using 3 or 4
different calls until one answers and stick with that call to work
the tom.

Recently I bought a Knight & Hale MINI JENNY and boy does this
little call work ( It sounds a little higher pitch than a full size box call )

Also I really like the a good slate call but you have to keep it really
dry to work.

Most good calls come with instructions but hunting with a good turkey
hunter or being in the field and listening to the real thing is the best
way to learn.

The main thing is to have fun.

good luck
J E CUSTOM