Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Which brand of shooting chronograph do you use?

• Shooting Chrony

Votes: 512 36.2%
  • Oehler

Votes: 235 16.6%
  • CED M2

Votes: 189 13.3%
  • Pact

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • PVM-22

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Pro Chrony

Votes: 343 24.2%

• Total voters
Well Gary, your pact may be a fine unit. I never got the chance to see one actually work. The one I bought, including IR screens, never worked once. I spent time trying both sets of screens, shading it moving it, different rifles, whatever. You would have thought it would have seen a 300 gr bullet but it would not. It was faulty. I sent it back and bought an Oehler. The other units I still own are also less expensive units compared to Oehler. You can line them up and they will give velocities that vary as much as 60 fps on the same bullet. Yes they were placed far enough from the muzzle, yes they were opened all the way and secured. Measurements even taken C to C on the eyes. I don't trust them. I feel the Oehlers option to spread the screens out to longer distances is great. I think a longer distance between screen equals more accurate readings. Which unit is correct in the number it gives we really do not know. All I can do is go by fact. The fact is since buying the Oehler I can take the average velocity of my load, use the advertised BC from Berger of the bullet and plug this all into my ballistic program and be on at 1000 or even as far as 1500 yards right off the bat. I could not do this before the Oehler, I always had to tweek numbers and most all the time it was from inaccurate velocities I had been given. So this is why I am happy now. Why I like the proof screen on the Oehler and why I wish I would have just bought the best rated chronograph first.

Have you tested the velocity you get from the pact with an advertised G7 BC to 1500 yards? 1000 yards? 800? Or what do use to give credit to the numbers you get from your pact?

Thanks!
Jeff

Well Gary, your pact may be a fine unit. I never got the chance to see one actually work. The one I bought, including IR screens, never worked once. I spent time trying both sets of screens, shading it moving it, different rifles, whatever. You would have thought it would have seen a 300 gr bullet but it would not. It was faulty. I sent it back and bought an Oehler. The other units I still own are also less expensive units compared to Oehler. You can line them up and they will give velocities that vary as much as 60 fps on the same bullet. Yes they were placed far enough from the muzzle, yes they were opened all the way and secured. Measurements even taken C to C on the eyes. I don't trust them. I feel the Oehlers option to spread the screens out to longer distances is great. I think a longer distance between screen equals more accurate readings. Which unit is correct in the number it gives we really do not know. All I can do is go by fact. The fact is since buying the Oehler I can take the average velocity of my load, use the advertised BC from Berger of the bullet and plug this all into my ballistic program and be on at 1000 or even as far as 1500 yards right off the bat. I could not do this before the Oehler, I always had to tweek numbers and most all the time it was from inaccurate velocities I had been given. So this is why I am happy now. Why I like the proof screen on the Oehler and why I wish I would have just bought the best rated chronograph first.

Have you tested the velocity you get from the pact with an advertised G7 BC to 1500 yards? 1000 yards? 800? Or what do use to give credit to the numbers you get from your pact?

Thanks!
Jeff

mine has the standard cells, and the only option it has is the light bar. No printer (now I wish it did have that), but the expanded software package which isn't so hot right now as it's been passed by by just about everybody. But it does everything I want it to do.

I do most of my shooting at or around noon, and when you get those extremely bright days you can have a problem with any pof them (I saw this with Doug's Ohler as well). The quick fix was to tape a strip of Mylar film ontop of the defuser wings (guess that's what you call them). Experimenting led me to leave a half inch wide gap, and this helped both units in the bright light. My range closes at 6:00 pm, so I rarely shoot after that (I have, but not with any chronograph). I originally made up two masts to aid in alignment of the unit to the barrel & scope, and this worked very well. Then later I made up a deal using two small balls and some monofilment fishing line. It was easy to see the bright red on the balls and seemed to make things a little faster. I have also been playing with a laser in a white target, but I'm not pleased with the results yet.

The only serious compairsons are with the Ohler Doug has. We are extremely close to each other in our readings (about 7 fps at 3270 fps). Our speads are also very similar if not almost identical. I have to drive a very long way to shoot at a 1000 yards range these days as the Army won't let us on their range anymore. So I just never really worry too much about 1000 yard shooting. I do know that the elevation on the scope comes out right when I dial it up, and in the end that's what matters to me. To be exact, I don't think the PC2 I have even has the tables for G7 ballistics in the software. I'll have to look and see. 99% of my shooting is under 500 yards, and it works fine for me using the Sierra and Lee software. Besides I don't dope the wind well enough to even worry too much about shooting 750 yards consistently. But I've been working on using mirage, and maybe I'll have it pegged this year.

Right now I find that I have to buy a new tripod as I managed to break mine!
gary

It's not on the list, but I use the Magnetospeed, seems to work well with any of my rifles, I haven't figured out how to mount it to my 1911 yet :)

I have had two Chronys and two PACTs. I use the Model A PACT and have been happy with it.

I seldom use the shades on the sensors but sometimes the lighting requires it.

One note to Chronograph users. The distance between sensors is critical. Unless you use a level, you do not have the same distance each time between the sensors. If the sensors are not level then the distance is shorter and the velocity goes up. That is one reason for elevated velocities that shooters report on this forum and others

I am the only one I have ever seen actually level his chronograph at a shooting range.

In the enclosed photo my yellow plastic level can be seen sideways between the sensors, but it was also used to level the chronograph parallel to the line of fire.

Attachments

• P1010982.jpg
    P1010982.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 17
I have had two Chronys and two PACTs. I use the Model A PACT and have been happy with it.

I seldom use the shades on the sensors but sometimes the lighting requires it.

One note to Chronograph users. The distance between sensors is critical. Unless you use a level, you do not have the same distance each time between the sensors. If the sensors are not level then the distance is shorter and the velocity goes up. That is one reason for elevated velocities that shooters report on this forum and others

I am the only one I have ever seen actually level his chronograph at a shooting range.

In the enclosed photo my yellow plastic level can be seen sideways between the sensors, but it was also used to level the chronograph parallel to the line of fire.

been telling everybody to use a couple torpedo levels to setup their chronographs for a long time now. Many take the statement light hearted, but it's a simple engineering fact. It's also important that the chronograph dosn't vibrate when a shot is passed thru it (I know they all do), so the more ridgid the mount the more consistent the readings are. Lastly the chronograph is simply a gauge used to measure velocity. Nothing more than that in the purest form. Readings are only compairable if the chronograph is setup exactly the same way everytime you use it (distance from the muzzel and of course alignment).
gary

I'm liking the concept of an 'acoustic' chronograph which has just recently become available for purchase. About $380 on fleaBay. It has a major advantage for extreme down range use due to the huge window the bullet can pass thru and still result in a recorded bullet velocity. I'm going to await some further feedback from others on this new product but if the reports are favorable, I'll be mighty tempted to acquire one to obtain 1000 yard bullet velocities. I'll use my light sensing chronographs to record muzzle velocities. Here's an informative Thread:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f94/review-superchrono-accoustic-chronograph-107412/

I'm liking the concept of an 'acoustic' chronograph which has just recently become available for purchase. About $380 on fleaBay. It has a major advantage for extreme down range use due to the huge window the bullet can pass thru and still result in a recorded bullet velocity. I'm going to await some further feedback from others on this new product but if the reports are favorable, I'll be mighty tempted to acquire one to obtain 1000 yard bullet velocities. I'll use my light sensing chronographs to record muzzle velocities. Here's an informative Thread:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f94/review-superchrono-accoustic-chronograph-107412/

the more I look at the Kurzzeit, the more I want one. I really like their engineering idea.
gary

The more I look at the Kurzzeit, the more I want one. I really like their engineering idea.
gary

I researched the Kurzzeit online. That's a pricy unit. It should be good if cost is any indication.

I was most interested in the acoustical chronograph due to the large detection area above the unit for recording down range velocity. I'm not reading much about that model, so I don't know if it's working well or not. I'm going to wait until I hear some positive reviews before purchasing.

Here's a pic of the FEENIX model chronograph. It's compact, not susceptible to lighting variations - I mean it flat out works in the daylight or complete darkness, doesn't require electrical power, and most importantly, it's about the cheapest unit available. It's been reported that operators with quicker reaction times record faster bullet velocity. This one was made in Switzerland. I've not used it yet, but it's officially endorsed by Marshal FEENIX. And he claims that anybody that spends money on a more expensive unit is simply a elitist snob. Here the pic. Seems fool-proof.

FEENIXChronograph_zps82e5e892.jpg

What I liked about the Kurzziet (hope I spelled it right) is the way it sets up, and the fact that it uses four cells facing each other. What I don't like is the rather small hole you shoot thru. The system seems to be made very rigid, and should move very little under a hard muzzel blast. Plus the setup time should be fairly quick if shooting on a public range. You are right about the price being stiff, but if you opt for the Square Peg mount on the Ohler you've spent that $200 (it does make a difference). I'd have to say these are the class of the field right now. Yet there is one more looming out there that many think might be even better (can't remember who makes it).

I just got my ancient Pact up and going again last week after managing to screw up the camera tripod. Now I have no less than three tripods that will work (found them at Goodwill believe it or not!)
gary

I don't use any of the ones listed. I use the Magneto Speed chrono and it works great. Quick to setup and take down when useing multiple rifles at the range. One doesn't have to worry about light conditions and muzzle blast.

Been using a Magneto Speed too. It runs a few FPS faster than my Oehler 35 but is consistent with several rifles tested with both. The magneto speed is definitely growing on me. I just subtract 10 fps and load up the ballistic app and I am on.

Jeff

I am thinking of picking up a magnetospeed, the V2 model, after seeing the great results at Townsend. Jeff, will you have the magnetospeed and/or your oehler at the August shoot? If you do i got a new load for my 284 win that i want to shoot over and see what kinda numbers i get and compare to my prochrono.

Riley, I should have my new V2 by then. I will bring it along if I have it.

Jeff

Just saw your reply, thanks Jeff, i ordered a V2 yesterday, i should have it soon also. :) gun) The Oehler confirmation made me a believer!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.