Which brand of wind meter, weather station do you use?

Which brand of wind meter, weather station do you use?

• Kestrel

Votes: 437 59.0%
  • Speedtech/Skymate

Votes: 34 4.6%
  • Caldwell

Votes: 146 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 131 17.7%

• Total voters
Hey fellas, can the Kestrel 4500 "blue tooth" to a Ipod touch running the shooter software? If so does it just dump it all in in the right places? Is it something that you just press a upload button on the ipod and it all goes in?

Thanks

Currently using the SKyMate. Biggest drawback is reading it if the sun is out. Even with the decent size LED screen, readings are tough to make out.

Clint, I am surprised to hear of your experience. I just took mine outside in the very bright direct sun. It reads very easily.

I wonder if your battery is low, or you have a defective unit. Please let me know what you find out.

I assembled my own portable weather station using a wireless home system made by La Crosse. I went this route so that I could get both wind speed and direction, as well as pressure and temperature.

I mounted all the sensors on a long broom handle that I secure to a steel fence post with a hose clamp. It takes longer to set up, but I can locate it 6-10' in the air up to 25 yds from my shooting position. I get more accurate wind measurements that way.

Clint, I am surprised to hear of your experience. I just took mine outside in the very bright direct sun. It reads very easily.

I wonder if your battery is low, or you have a defective unit. Please let me know what you find out.

Forgot to give the update on this. Changed the battery and it has made a world of difference. Appriciate the advice.

I have been eyeing up the Kestrel 3500 for $200! Trying to find the best price. I believe it will best suit my needs. I have also been looking at the skywatch Xplorer 4! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.