Which rifle do I put "the good scope" on

b money

Alright this has been bugging me for awhile, I've had the scope sitting here but I haven't had a chance to go out shooting lately so I haven't mounted it. Anyways I bought my first scope that cost more then $100 recently it is a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x44mm I have 2 rifles I want to put it on and I'm undecided as to which one. First up is my trusty Remington 700PSS in 308win, it currently has a BSA steath tactical 8-32x44mm (I think) it's a 1in tube. The scope itself was a scope I bought thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread back a few years ago before I knew any better. It does the job but that's about it. 2nd is my brand new Remington 700 long range model in 300RUM it currently has nothing mounted on it and I'm either going to put the BSA or the vortex on it. I plan on shooting my 308 more at the range but I also would like a decent scope on both rifles in case I take the 300RUM long range hunting. In any case I would take both rifles hunting. I'm just torn as to which one I should put the vortex on.

Fair enough, I mean it's not an end all be all type of situation, I can always switch the scopes around. Just figured I would ask seeing as it crossed my mind sitting here on the couch tonight. I didn't know if others who were sitting on the couch like myself would chime in with personal preferences or not. Thanks for the reply.

b, surely the Vortex will hold up to the recoil of the RUM opposed to the BSA. Good luck

If both rifles have a rail just leave the rings on the scope and swap it. That's what I do. Just record the zero shift and you'll be all set

Alright this has been bugging me for awhile, I've had the scope sitting here but I haven't had a chance to go out shooting lately so I haven't mounted it. Anyways I bought my first scope that cost more then $100 recently it is a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x44mm I have 2 rifles I want to put it on and I'm undecided as to which one. First up is my trusty Remington 700PSS in 308win, it currently has a BSA steath tactical 8-32x44mm (I think) it's a 1in tube. The scope itself was a scope I bought thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread back a few years ago before I knew any better. It does the job but that's about it. 2nd is my brand new Remington 700 long range model in 300RUM it currently has nothing mounted on it and I'm either going to put the BSA or the vortex on it. I plan on shooting my 308 more at the range but I also would like a decent scope on both rifles in case I take the 300RUM long range hunting. In any case I would take both rifles hunting. I'm just torn as to which one I should put the vortex on.

My brother struggles the same way because he doesn't want to spend more than $100 on a scope. Sometimes you have to up your A game and invest a little more money on a better scope. IMO.

Yeah I'll probably end up putting it on my 308 for now. Also I don't mind spending the money on scopes or many other things, the simple fact is that at the moment I can't afford another decent scope. As much as I would like one

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.