Which of these build ideas make financial sense to y'all?

GABR13L

I currently have a 2000 Mod 70 Ultimate Shadow in .30-06 w/ a Bushnell 3.5-10x40 Scopechief scope on Leupold mounts. It has had 40-50 rounds fired through it total, and has been kept in excellent condition.

I want to build a .300 RUM custom, either from scratch or off the Mod 70.

I am not really sure what current action prices run, so I need some help in deciding the financially smarter path here. Here are my options:

1) Use the Mod 70 action to build off of, and sell the factory Winchester parts that I am replacing (i.e. everything) to try to offset the cost of the custom build somewhat.

- OR -

2) Sell the Mod 70 as is, and build the .300 RUM from scratch by buying a Rem 700 action to use for it (or a similar economical action). What is the current general price for a Rem 700 RH long action (just the action)? What would you think I could get for the Mod 70?

Which one would you guys (who are on a budget) do? Thanks as always!

Gabe, I do not know what you can get for the winchester, but think selling and going with a different action would be your best bet. Mainly because you would have to have that bolt face opened up. I would hunt a different action with the correct boltface.

Well Mr. Caver,
My opinion would be to sell the model 70 and start scratch with a Remington. A new Remington model 700 long, blued, with a magnum bolt face run about $375 with a factory trigger and no bottom metal, stainless about $400. Depending if your going to make this a repeater you will need to open the bolt face up to ultra mag and open up the feed rails, also you will need to purchase bottom metal. For a single shot you will only need to open up the bolt face and instal a solid single shot floor plate.
Another route would be to buy a Remington 700 SPS in .300 Ultra Mag for around $600. Now you have the correct bolt face and feed rails and you have all the factory bottom metal. I do a package for this that starts at $1499 with a customer supplied action. PM me for more if your interested.

If you have an action already then your one step up , is the Win M-70 the best one for this job? It will work but their will be some added cost like the opening of the bolt face , which realy isin't to big of a deal if the action is being blueprinted anyway their will also be an added cost for installing an extended box for the RUM cause the mag box on the Winchester is shorter than the Rem to start with. You also have to look at the availabilty of after market parts like stocks , triggers , scope rails all of which can be had for the Win M-70 as its not that un common of an action.
Now if your gonna sell the gun and build on a Rem action , you will be FAR better off spending an extra couple hundred dollars and buying a costom action as it will get you far better return if you ever have to sell it , if you spend $400 of a new bolt for the Rem and a full blue print you'll be lucky to sell it for $500 and you'll have almost $800 in it.

So figure around $400-$500 to have your action blueprinted and worked to accept a RUM case with the barrel install , around $300 for a new decient stock from HS or compairable , $100 for a trigger. and that should have you very close

OR , you can shop around and get a low milage 300RUM Sendero and shot the barrel out and rebuild that later down the road.

Thanks a ton for the advice - Im not even sure if I know all the different parts I will need to acquire for this custom build. Few questions:

1) If I buy a 700 Long/blued/mag action, can I get it without factory trigger to save some money? And where is the best place to find a good price on this (new)?

2) If I get the mag bolt face action, it won't have to be opened up for the .300 RUM right?

3) I planned on putting all my hardware on a HS Precision Varmint stock... I don't mind a single shot at all, so what will I need to do with this stock as far as a mag/floor plate? I assume they come with a hole in the bottom...?

Again - can't thank yall enough :)

:: EDIT :: James, you posted right before I posted this - but for the record, I will not be selling this rifle - ever - so resale value is a nonfactor. So you think it'd be more cost efficient to buy a custom action than to have a Rem 700 blueprinted? (newb question - do custom actions have to be blueprinted?) Who makes a quality custom magnum action at a reasonable price (I don't wanna pay for a hyped name)??

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for the advice - Im not even sure if I know all the different parts I will need to acquire for this custom build. Few questions:

1) If I buy a 700 Long/blued/mag action, can I get it without factory trigger to save some money? Yes And where is the best place to find a good price on this (new)? Montour Rifles, above post, says $375. I'd check with him. You would want an Chrom-Moly action not a Stainless.

2) If I get the mag bolt face action, it won't have to be opened up for the .300 RUM right? Right

3) I planned on putting all my hardware on a HS Precision Varmint stock... I don't mind a single shot at all, so what will I need to do with this stock as far as a mag/floor plate? I assume they come with a hole in the bottom...?

If the HS stock can be had in an ADL configuration, magazine does not extend completely through the stock (More rigid, IMO) Then no bottom metal is necessary.

You will need a trigger guard. $45 from Sinclair (sinclairintl.com)
The front trigger guard screw will go into the stock, not the action.

You will also need/want a long Davidson Loading Ramp #RAMP-L. $13.25

You'll also want the mounting screws. Get hex heads.

Lastly, you'll want to make room in your freezer.:D

PS: you can run with what James Jones says.:)

:: EDIT :: James, you posted right before I posted this - but for the record, I will not be selling this rifle - ever - so resale value is a nonfactor. So you think it'd be more cost efficient to buy a custom action than to have a Rem 700 blueprinted? (newb question - do custom actions have to be blueprinted?) Who makes a quality custom magnum action at a reasonable price (I don't wanna pay for a hyped name)??

1) If I buy a 700 Long/blued/mag action, can I get it without factory trigger to save some money? And where is the best place to find a good price on this (new)?

2) If I get the mag bolt face action, it won't have to be opened up for the .300 RUM right?

Isn't the 300RUM housed in a MAGNUM length action (375 H+H) in both Remington and Winchester actions?
If your Mod 70 is 30-06 length,you will have to have the WHOLE action opened up,not just the bolt face;magazine well,rear of the action etc.
I think you'll have to go with a 'custom' Remington MAGNUM action already set up for the RUM case.This will be a lot more cost efficient!
Custom actions are already 'blueprinted',they are factory actions that have had all their faces 'trued','squared' and mating surfaces 'lapped',which is where all the money goes into.
The stock you chose,going by HS Precisions website,has provision for standard bottom metal.I may be wrong with the choices they provide,but you'll have to put a solid follower in if you want it to be a single shot.If it were me ,I would leave it as a repeater,especially if you're hunting with it.
I would suggest if you are going this route,to buy a stainless action,and if it doesn't come with an aftermarket trigger,discuss this with your 'smith as to which one he recommends you use.
Most gunsmiths can do this,but I think Kirby has them for sale already done(?)Sinclair International is a good source for the parts you may need,solid followers etc,it will also give you some insight on what can be done to alter your rifle from 'stock'.
The other posters can tell you where Kirby actions are available.
MagnumManiac
gun)

Mr. Caver,
Where I get the new Remington actions from they automatically come with a factory trigger. You could possibly sell the factory trigger to put towards a aftermarket one or use the factory one for now.

I do different levels of action blueprints. All receiver work is bolt bore double indicated within .0002"

Action Blueprint - Level 1 - $150 Includes:

Single point re-cut receiver face and internal locking lugs perpendicular to the bolt bore centerline

Single point re-cut threads concentric with the bolt bore centerline

Single point re-cut bolt lugs and bolt face perpendicular to the bolt body centerline

Action Blueprint - Level 2 - $250 Includes:

Level 1 plus

Open receiver bolt bore to a consistent .705 diameter

Double sleeve bolt body

Hand stoned eliptics on sleeves for .0002" clearance when bolt is in closed position

Action Blueprint - Level 3 - $300 Includes:

Level 2 plus

Bush firing pin hole to .0625"

Turn firing pin to .062"

Sako Extractor cost is $95.

If you went with a Blue 700 Total cost with Level 1 blueprint you would have $620
I like custom actions too, but you'll have at least $800 plus a trigger. Either way is a good choice in my book.

Last edited:
Big thanks to everyone for the advice!

Montour, I think the 700 action seems like the way to go... but I guess I want someone to tell me that if I buy the Rem 700 action, and have it blueprinted, that it will be just as good as a custom action (BAT/stiller/etc). I don't wanna have something that isn't great when I could spend a couple hundred more for a custom.

How did you get an estimate of $620 for action + level 1? I thought you said the actions were about $375 and Level 1 is $150 = $525?

Also, what are the actual differences (in field accuracy) between your 3 levels of blueprinting?

Would you honestly recommend a lvl 3 for every action, or is it more on a per case need basis?

Are the 700 actions that you can get new or used?

Thank you so very much for your time.

Last edited:
Jerry Stiller has just what you need-----a Predator. It fits in a Remington foot print and is for all practical purposes a BR action that has been designed to be reliable in hunting conditions.

Yeh man, I took a look at those Stiller Predators last night - they look incredible... not sure on the price though - still mullin things over

It also looks like the Predator (even the Predator X) would still have to be opened up to accomodate a RUM... right?

Last edited:
Mr Caver,
You are correct it is $525. I was adding in a sako extractor, which you wouldn't have to have but I think it makes feeding a little smoother. I had a brain fart on my last post, the mag bolt face and the Ultra Mag bolt face are the same size, also the feed rails would need opened up if it were a repeater. Boss Hoss is right, I forgot about the Stiller actions they are also a very good choice, but again no trigger. For a field gun a level 1 blueprint is all you would need, I get into the other levels for more benchrest types. You can go with the level 3 but the sleeves are such a tight tolerance that if any dirt got on them your bolt might not close. The sleeves are great for keeping the bolt body in perfect alignment when the bolt is closed and loose for cycling. 90% of my customers use the level 1.
I can't say the Remington is better than a custom action, but can deffinately be just as good.
The Remington actions I get are brand new.

hmmm that's an excellent price :)

On another note, I've been wondering... would it be easier/cheaper to make this a repeater or a single shot? (assuming blueprinted Rem 700 action/HS Precision Varmint stock/Jewell trigger) I am honestly A-OK with either.

Mr. Caver,
Single shot or repeater, one isn't easier than the other. A single shot may be a little cheaper though (no bottom metal other than a trigger guard). It really depends on the use of the rifle. If it's primarily going to be a stationary long range rifle than a single shot is great. If your planning on using it as a carry gun also it's nice to have a few extra rounds in the magazine. If your going to go with a repeater I would definately reccomend a Wyatts extended magazine box.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.