Which Nightforce

I considered the Razor but I didn't want to put a 48 oz boat anchor on my rifle

What about the AMG then? Only 28.5 ounces. What's the rifle going to be used for? Wasn't thinking a light weight hunter with the 35 ounce scopes on it.

Have you checked out the SWFA SS 5-20HD? It's 30oz too but it's 90+% of the performance of NF for 50% of the $. It'a FFP and the reticle is fat enough to use on lower power but it also comes in an illuminated model. I've made hits with this out to 1300yd.

I am building a 7 Sherman Short as my first long range rifle. I want the ability to shoot 1000 yards on game. However, I want to buy a scope that is more capable than me and the rifle. Shots will be anywhere from 30 yards to 600 yards. I currently mainly just own Swarovski non turret rifles scopes that are all SFP.

I am torn between the following scopes: Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50 SFP MOAR and Nightforce ATACR 4-20x50 FFP MOAR.

I have thought about the NX8 2.5-20 SFP and 4-32 FFP as a lighter option as well as the ATACR 5-25 as a slightly heavier option with more power. I've heard that the NX8 has a finicky eye box. The ATACR has better glass and is tougher from my understanding. I am pretty easy on my equipment, however, I want piece of mind and the best of the best (per say).

I have never shot at 1000 yards, and am afraid that 16x is not enough power. I am also concerned that a FFP scope will not be usable at lower magnification in the timber/woods. This rifle will be shot far more at 100 or less than it will be at 1000 yards. However, I do want it to be a viable 1000 yard hunting rifle that I can practice and work my way longer when I can place every first round shot on target.

Thanks all,
Steve
Military always used 1x power per hundred yards.......10x @ 1000yds But, then those were 18 year old eyes.

I am building a 7 Sherman Short as my first long range rifle. I want the ability to shoot 1000 yards on game. However, I want to buy a scope that is more capable than me and the rifle. Shots will be anywhere from 30 yards to 600 yards. I currently mainly just own Swarovski non turret rifles scopes that are all SFP.

I am torn between the following scopes: Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50 SFP MOAR and Nightforce ATACR 4-20x50 FFP MOAR.

I have thought about the NX8 2.5-20 SFP and 4-32 FFP as a lighter option as well as the ATACR 5-25 as a slightly heavier option with more power. I've heard that the NX8 has a finicky eye box. The ATACR has better glass and is tougher from my understanding. I am pretty easy on my equipment, however, I want piece of mind and the best of the best (per say).

I have never shot at 1000 yards, and am afraid that 16x is not enough power. I am also concerned that a FFP scope will not be usable at lower magnification in the timber/woods. This rifle will be shot far more at 100 or less than it will be at 1000 yards. However, I do want it to be a viable 1000 yard hunting rifle that I can practice and work my way longer when I can place every first round shot on target.

Thanks all,
Steve
I use both Swarovski and Nightforce.
Both are very good but I suggest Swarovski is better in low light.

My rifle builder has a 1/2 MOA guarantee so I expect the rifle to be extremely accurate, especially with hand loads.

Would I feel handicapped with 16x at 1000 yards?
I have shot many times at a 1000 yards and I'll never complain about have more zoom power. You can use lower powers, I have shot steel many times with my old Leupold 4.5-14, but it never seemed as easy as with more power.

Remember, a 1000 yard shot is something that takes time to set up get comfortable and make proper wind calls no matter what the target is. Its a long ways.

I own Swsrovski scopes and multiple binoculars. Although the glass is great, their tracking leaves a lot to be desired.

Vortex might be okay in some cases, however, durability is no where near what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking at $3000 scopes because I want to save money or I'm looking for best bang for the buck.

Although they are heavy, I'm pretty set on a Nightforce. Pretty much leaning ATACR due to glass quality, eye box and parallax. NX8 interests me, as it is lighter, however, eye box and finicky parallax keep me away. NXS seems like a viable option, however, glass is 2 steps down and almost the same weight as the ATACR.

Still undecided on SFP vs FFP. See benefits of each for sure.

How are you evaluating glass quality? What makes you think NF is better than anything else mentioned? I think you should do a little reading, preferably an unbiased non forum publication that objectively compares several scopes based on a uniform set of parameters.

Buy a S&B if you don't want to save money.

I love the idea of a NF 4-20x SFP but when you look at the weight you might as well go 5-25x. You gain 5x on the top end and only add 1x more on the bottom for an oz or 2 in weight so your fine in the timber and can stretch it out in the canyons or open terrain. Personally I have the ATACR 5-25x SFP on a 300 Norma Imp and an NX8 4-32x SFP on a lightweight 6.5 PRC rig I use for deer, Antelope, pigs etc.

How are you evaluating glass quality? What makes you think NF is better than anything else mentioned? I think you should do a little reading, preferably an unbiased non forum publication that objectively compares several scopes based on a uniform set of parameters.
The one I'm selling is aAtar

@gilk1 I own thousands of dollars worth of Swarovski binoculars, rifle scopes and other high end optics. I am perfectly capable of telling glass quality. I am mainly concerned with return to zero and tracking as well as durability. I realize Leupold has some great options, however, their tracking and holding zero is and has been a known issue. I did consider the Mark 5. Swarovski has great glass but terrible turret systems in my opinion. Kahles maybe on my short list. Vortex is not even on my radar.

Maybe Vortex should be on your radar. Did you look at the links including the tracking test? And what are you basing them not being durable? Crossfires and Diamondbacks? If you look at the Razors the durability and tracking are there.