which Nightforce?

westjoh

I've been going back and for on this issue and need some advice. I'm having a .300wm being built right now with a 26" Broughton set up for heavy bullets, Mcmillan HTG, and a timney trigger. I want to put a Nightforce on top but can't decide between the 3.5-15 or the 5.5-22 NXS. I want to use this for everything from hunting bear over bait to long range elk and pronghorn as well as long range target. I like the higher power for the long range stuff but I'm afraid that 5.5x will be too much for bait hunting. What do you think would fit the bill better?

I have a 5.5~22 on my 300 win and I prefer it. I would have not issues with a 50 yard shot over bait on 5.5 or so. The 15x is enough for a long range elk shot, but still I prefer the option of cranking it up for a larger target while the SFP reticle stays the same size. To me, for my type of hunting this allows for a very precise aim point for placement.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.