Votes: 18 8.3%
  • 308 Win

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • 30-06 Sprg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none/other

Votes: 157 72.0%

• Total voters
Actually, I see way more other people bad mouthing creedmoors than the other way around. Shoot what you want. So will everyone else. But writing off a caliber just because it came out with a good marketing team doesn't make any sense. I don't think the creedmoor is replacing everything else by any means. But it's definitely giving a good option to a lot of newer shooters who don't reload or people who sometimes get busy and don't have time. The fact that there is quality ammo available for a decent price is enough to keep it from going away. It's not a fad that's going to die out. Also, I've been meaning to ask you, what's that mean in the bottom of your posts, "justme gbot tum"?

Some people would badmouth the cure for cancer - it's just the way some people are.

Two reasons the 6.5CM is a great cartridge are because of its popularity and its capability. My .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle but if I was buying it today it would be a 6.5CM. A couple years ago I bought a used Savage 11 .243 Win because I wanted to build it into a 6.5CM. Shot the donor and got bugholes and am keeping it as a .243. Bought a used Savage 111 7mm RM last January and no such issues - the barrel was pitted and rusty inside and out, never fired it. It will most likely become a 6.5 PRC. The other mainstream cartridges that have been considered include some that require a bolt head change (simple on the Savage), including .264WM, 26 Nosler, .280AI and 28 Nosler. Have not completely ruled any of them out, but if 6.5PRC wins it will be one more vote for a cartridge that is adequate for my needs (game out to 600 yards, targets to 1200) with relatively light recoil and modest powder consumption.

Everyone in this club is a hunter. There's about 400 members now. I'd say about 75% under 40 years old.which is my point. I think the younger generation is tired of the 270. Again just my opinion.
I think the 6.5 will earn its place eventually among the standard deer cartridge options. The question was will it supplant a popular cartridge like 243, 308, 270, 30-06. I think not. Walmart and other retail options will make it join the ranks due to price which is a by-product of the amount of production, but many cartridges it may eclipse are already low production.
Also I know this is a long range forum but that does not stop the majority or game being taken at distances well under 200 yards per game agencies hunter surveys. Limited to that range the advantages of 6.5 other than felt recoil are nearly a mute and many cartridges bring the mail with a lot more authority.
I say this all having bought a 6.5 CM for my wife because I thought she would shoot more and become better at shooter with less recoil. While still revamping my old 270 for myself because it just has worked to well to switch.

I think if a gun manufacturer was smart they would reintroduce a Remington 700 or Howa 1500 in 257 AI, 25-06 & 270, 270 WSM with a fast twist barrel. 257 cal with 1:7 & 277 cal with 1:8 twist would sell like gasoline at $1/gallon. If you build it they will come. 131 blackjack 170 EOL's and so on and so on. This would quickly level the playing field and be lighting in a bottle for someone. I called Christensen Arms and spoke with them and they replied we're already ahead of you?....what that means I'm anxious to see!!

morning, the creedmore lovers remind me of the judge
in movie with Al Pacone as a lawyer that sets on the commode stroking
his shotgun-creedmore. this cartridge is the magic wand of the land of OZ.
the world of handloading will survive the on slought of the creedmores.
blah-blah-blah. touch'e justme gbot tum

I don't think older cartridges will completely disappear, but I can see where the 6mm and 6.5 Creedmoor will take a portion of the market. Both are modern designs and were designed from the ground up for heavy for caliber bullets. I think for the average guy they won't be able to tell the difference or see the point in the newer cartridges. I do think they're more versatile because of the fact that the SAAMI twist rates and OALs are designed around modern projectiles and optimizing the short action.

I think I'll just sell them all & keep the 6mm & 6.5 Creedmoor. Who needs 338 Lapua mags when you have a creedmoor? Yea, right!

Last edited:
Obsolete = Nope but diminished you betchya.
I get the Creedmore concept but my 30-06, 3 243 and 2 6.5 Sweeds aint going anywhere

More than enough room for new guns without something having to drop off, especially with the choices you put out.....old tried and true favorites that will always be there!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts