Which magnification range.

pat86004

I am torn between 2 different magnification ranges in the vortex viper scope line. Right now I'm leaning toward either 4-16 or 6.5-20. Right now I'm leaning toward the 4-16 but wanted some more opinions.

Depends what the rifle is for hunting or targets. If a hunting scope and the country you hunt is timbered and open and shots can range from 50 to 800 yards then the 4-16 would be a good choice. If on a antelope rifle or the hunting is in open large canyons or maybe you are a target shooter then the 6.5-20 would be my choice. I use the 4-16 Vortex HSLR and shoot to a 1000 yards, 700 yards on game.

You can never have too much power, but you can have too little. You can't shoot it if you can't see it. You can dial the 6.5-20 down to 16, if that's enough, but you can't dial the 4-16 up to 20. For the lower end, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the 4 and 6.5 in a hunting situation. Go for the higher power and don't look back.

You can never have too much power, but you can have too little. You can't shoot it if you can't see it. You can dial the 6.5-20 down to 16, if that's enough, but you can't dial the 4-16 up to 20. For the lower end, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the 4 and 6.5 in a hunting situation. Go for the higher power and don't look back.

Yup....

Scopes on my longrange rifles are 8.5-25x and NEVER have I said, "wish I could dial down to 6x"

Yup....

Scopes on my longrange rifles are 8.5-25x and NEVER have I said, "wish I could dial down to 6x"

Sure you can have too much magnification, try hunting with a fixed 16x... I did but only once! Sitting on a powerline cut that you can shoot 2000 yards. Almost cost me a good buck. Lower light and exit pupil made it impossible to get on him @ 750. Last year I hunted with a fixed 6x on one of my rifles, missed an oportunity on at least one close range hog due to FOV. Wish I had a 4x or lower.
I've shot to 1000+ yards for several years with a 10x Leupold with good success.

I'm with KC on this one. If there is a possibility of closer shots especially in timber or low light, I would rather have a lower power. I think a good 4-16 power will cover most anything.

Bravo 4
We were talking about variable power scopes, not fixed power. Oranges and apples....
If you like a low power scope, more power to you (pun intended).

Bravo 4
We were talking about variable power scopes, not fixed power. Oranges and apples....
If you like a low power scope, more power to you (pun intended).

I know you were, but I was making a point to the general term "you can never have too much magnification".

Plus, the reference to my 6x is relevant to the subject. It can be too much "on the low end" for certain situations. Sometimes less is more.

To each his own. You like apples and some like oranges, I like fruit salad.

The more I think about it, I think the 4-16 will be the best choice for me. I do a fair amount of still hunting in heavy timber. The frequency for me to have to pull up the rifle and shoot fast is too great to have 6.5 as a minumum.

I have acquired three new scopes the last two years all NF (not implying brand ) 5.5x22x56, 3.5x15x50 and recently their new 2.5x10x42. I absolutly love the compact scope and I have mounted on my go to hunting rifle a 280ai. On the property I hunt we have a lot of shooting opportunities on hogs from point blank to 500yds from broad daylight to next to no light, I can dial down to 2.5 when needed which is often or 10x for the long shots. I'm sure I could make a longer shot at 10x under the right conditions. Just my .02

You have your answer if low end power is the discriminator. Personally I prefer the best glass with the highest variable power in the 30 to mid 40x range. The higher power scopes will be limited in elevation adjustments. A compromise between high end power and maximum elevation adjustment is warranted when maximum elevation adjustments is desired. A quality 20X scope on the high end is a suitable compromise. While 30-40x may not be ideal for a hunting shot, the higher magnification is a significant benefit with determining precision potential before the shot. Once precision potential is estimated, time permitting, power can be reduced to a manageable shooting power. Precision potential both determined at the range and in the field is a critical component with determining a maximum effective range. Scopes with higher variable power in the 20X plus range are more conducive, in my experience, with this endeavor. Power can always be backed down if you have it, not so the other way around.

I hunt some thick stuff on way up and also timber hunt and find my 6.5 low end to high. I would like a 3-18,but if money didnt matter I would love to try the 3-25x52 March. Thats on my packer otherwise like the higher type.

My dad always said use the right tool for the job and you will save a lot of effort and time. I think that really applies to your question. I've got picatinny rails on most of my rifles, and put on the scope that matches up to how I believe my hunt will most likely go. If I think I'm going to be hunting distance, I toss on more magnification... Variable up to 24x. If I think the possibility of 100 yards or less... Then I like to be down to 3-4x.

Believe me, you can have too much power! If the gun you are taking for walk happens to chance finding a bear in an alder patch or thicket, you will want the lowest power possible.

Also, this is hunting not target practice. Over decades, I have shot elk out to 600yd with a straight 4x old televid redfield in Montana. Zero loss.

Now being in AK, 3x is the highest "low" magnification that I will take. In any condition from glaciers to alder patches

Fancy ballistic tools and scope reticles are absolutely unnecessary with hunting shots under 600yds as long as you know the gun you are shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.