Which is the best 6mm LR bullet

wildcat

Hey guys, what is the best LR 6mm bullet. Here are the BC's of each bullet, how accurate are these BC's? and what can these bullets be pushed at out of a 6x284 with a 30" pipe?

1. Berger 6mm, 105grn, BC .556
2. Lupua 6mm, 105grn, BC .530
3. Sierra 6mm, 107grn, BC .527
4. Hornady 6mm, 105grn, BC .500

Wildcat

Wildcat ,

If you are set on using a 6x284 then those bullets you listed are too light .

You would be better served to go with the 115 dtac bc of .585 or the 117 dtac bc of .600 or the 120 wildcat bc of expected .620

I just threw in the Wildcat bullet bc and bc guess . It is not yet available , but is in the cards . The others however are right now good to go .

Wildcat , what was the last rifle project you were working on ? I forget as I am getting decrepit . , Old too . Anyways , could you tell of the results you have for that rifle and who made it and all . I like to read success stories .

Thanks for your indulgence .

Jim B.

Jimm, I was originally going to build the 300-WSM around the 125grn BT. However, do to all the advice, I have decided to go with a 6x284 and design it around the 105 and 107grn bullets. I am leaning toward the Berger 105grn bullet with .556 BC and the Lupua 105grn Scenar with a .530 BC.

I originally had four beautiful rifles, however, do to job issues, I had to sell all of them + scopes, rangefinder ect. They were as followed;

1. 223
2. 220 Swift, Full custom.
3. 6x284, Full Custom.
4. 338 Yogi which is 338 Lupua Magnum Improved, Full custom.

I miss them very much, but I had to do it. Anyhow, I had money left over after paying some bills, so I decided I needed at least one long range rifle for squirrel shooting.

The 115 and 117 DTAC sound really awesome, I might have to look at those too! Does Wildcat make the DTAC bullets, also how much do they cost and what twist rate do they require. Would a 1-9 twist work for the 115 and 117 bullets?

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
The 115 and 117 DTAC sound really awesome, I might have to look at those too! Does Wildcat make the DTAC bullets, also how much do they cost and what twist rate do they require. Would a 1-9 twist work for the 115 and 117 bullets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sierra makes them for David tubb.The 115 would be marginal with a 1-9 the 117 even more so.

d-a

I would for sure go with a 8T if you are considering the DTAC's.
I have 1-8 Broughton 5C fitted to a XP-100 in 6mm-284 and use the 115 DTAC's.
I'm curious if the 117 DTAC will stabilize with mine?

I would look seriously at the 6br or the 6x47 lapua instead of the 6-284 if you are only going to have one gun built. 6-284's on not really good for high volume squirrel shooting.

At a match I attended this weekend, two fellas had 6-284's and both admitted to having burned out their barrels and both had less than 1000 rounds down the tubes and both said they wish they had done 6.5-284's instead. I couldn't agree with them more. At 1000 yard matches or 1000 yard varminting, it ain't about speed. It's about bc and accuracy. And the hotrods like the 6-284 don't keep their accuracy as long as the smaller cases.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious if the 117 DTAC will stabilize with mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am too. I have a some one the way to try.

d-a

If I had it all to do over again I'd use the 105 Amax in my 6-250. I'm using the bergers and they shoot lights out but don't expand for crap past about 500 yds.

I use the 115 Berger and it is really good on antelope. I have a 1-8 twist 30 inch 6 groove barrel.

I don't know anything about western ground squirrel shooting other than I have seen them out and running around in the springtime. Nonetheless, you might pay attention to what Goodgrouper said about hot barrels and burned throats.

Wildcat

Goodgrouper is right, the 6-284 is a barrel burner normally under 1000 rounds and it is not widely used anymore for that reason. I would look at the 6BRX, or the 6x47. The BRX is running 107s at 2950 and the 6x47 is running them at 3150 with no pressure. My choice would be the 6x47. Go to www.6mmbr.com and do some reading on all three.

You basically are talking at gun for LR squirrel hunting with lots of rounds down range. The 6BRs are running 2-3k round life minimum and it looks like the 6x47 could be close. Hmm 1-9 twist with Berger 95 grs and bye bye squirrel.

Also suggest you really look at the need for the super big barrel and action you were talking about. No need for a 1.450 tube and action to support it. A Lawton 7500 the 1.350 model for $800 will do the same with a 1.250/1.350" tapered to 1". That will save you at least $150 on the blank alone.

BH

Bountyhunter, I was originally going with a Lawton 7500 action. However, I decided to go with the Nesika Model L, 1.470 Action. I wanted a high quality action on this rifle, because I want it to be heavy and that's why I went with the larger action and barrel.

I really want the rifle to be very steady, and I wanted it to weigh around the 30 pound mark. The ground squirrels, we shoot at, out here are very small. When you start shooting past 500, and out to 1000 yards, you need a very steady platform.

Regarding barrel life, when I shoot squirrels, I maybe get off 50 or 60 shots a day. I use the 17HMR for the shots between 100 and 300 yards and that's where most of the shooting is done on large volume squirrel hunting. I will only use this rifle for shots from around 400 to 1000 yards. I am only able to shoot in a specific area only three times a year, so I don't get to go as often as I would like. I wish I lived in Pdog country.

I know the 6x284 is a barrel burner if you put lots of rounds down the tube during a session. However, I am not one of those guys who keeps on shooting. I take time off for the barrel to cool. I will also clean during the session, and my friend and I take turns spotting.

I loved my last 6x284, it was awesome. Plus, I want the extra velocity it will provide when using the 105grn VLD bullets. Also, everyone else I shoot with has either a 22BR or 6BR, so I want to different too. I think this project is going to be a very potent long range squirrel killer

I agree with you guys about the 6BRX and the 6x47, they are a much better choice for high volume varmint shooting and the barrel life is much better too. However, there is nothing like having the power of a 6x284 when shooting at ranges out to 1000 yards. My last 6x284 was awesome, and I used a 87grn V-max. So, I can't wait to see how my new 6x284 is going to perform with the high BC 105's. From what everyone has said on this site, the 6x284, with high BC bullets, is an awesome varmint set up.

Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
At a match I attended this weekend, two fellas had 6-284's and both admitted to having burned out their barrels and both had less than 1000 rounds down the tubes and both said they wish they had done 6.5-284's instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not disagreeing w/you @ all but I did notice a very disturbing thing @ the 1000 yd match Lerch and I went to. In the heavy gun, you get 6 minutes for unlimited sighters. This is usually between 5-10 shot for most folks (correct me if I'm wrong on that one). Then, when the match starts, these people shoot 10 shots as fast as them and their equipment will allow them to, accuratly. This is Usually around 1 min or less. That mean you are shooting between 15-20 rounds down the bbl in around 7 min. Not exactly easy on a high intensity cartridge. I think (or hypothesize)that some of the #s on bbl life we see from the br world are greatly skewed by this fast and furious firing. I mean that is enough to just about melt a big magnum down!!

With that said, I couldn't agree w/the following statement more.
[ QUOTE ]
At 1000 yard matches or 1000 yard varminting, it ain't about speed. It's about bc and accuracy. And the hotrods like the 6-284 don't keep their accuracy as long as the smaller cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd build a BR or something similar!!!

I agree with you completely. So little time to shoot so many rounds is tough on anything but especially tough on bigger cases.

But it is sooooo hard to talk people out of that "speed speed speed" stage. It's almost like you have to go through it before you listen to wiser voices.
Give me a 6br improved, some 95 grain berger vld's, a pound of Varget, and I'll be in the running with any firebreathing dragon someone can invent at any 1k match despite only going 3000 fps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But it is sooooo hard to talk people out of that "speed speed speed" stage. It's almost like you have to go through it before you listen to wiser voices.

[/ QUOTE ]

300 RUM, 125 gr BT @ 3940 fps
243 win, 55 gr BT @ 4000+ fps

Been there and done that.

[ QUOTE ]
Give me a 6br improved, some 95 grain berger vld's, a pound of Varget, and I'll be in the running with any firebreathing dragon someone can invent at any 1k match despite only going 3000 fps.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like a 6-250, a pound of H4350 and some 105 Bergers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but I think we're still on the same page.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.