408 Cheytac Brass - Which Brand is the Best?

River Man

Hello,

My 375 CheyTac rifle will be completed in a couple of months. I am starting my search now for some brass. I plan to neck down 408 CheyTac brass instead of waiting for a production run of the 375 CheyTac.

If my research is correct, there are four manufacturers of 408 CheyTac brass - Bertram, Jamison, TTI Armory, and XM-2 (headstamp, I don't know the parent company).

I have located sellers for the Bertram and Jamison brass, but have not located sellers for the TTI Armory or XM-2 brass.

This leads me to a couple of questions:

1) Are there any other companies that make 408 CheyTac brass?

2) Who makes the best 408 CheyTac brass - Bertram, Jamison, TTI, or XM-2? Please rank them from best to worst.

Thanks,
Dennis
aka: River Man

Last edited:
TTI is the best but very hard to find, from what I've heard. I have 100 pcs of TTI and it's held up through 2 firings in a 338 AM, a necked down 408. APS and Kirby are working with Jamison to improve theirs, should be good brass once it's dialed in. Bertarm and the other you mentioned, I have no idea, sorry.

Brass,

XM-2 best brass, made by Horneber in Germany. First brass brought in by Cheytac. Ive got up too 8 firings on one case, would of been more but didnt anneal the necks half way through and they cracked. Can be ordered direct from Dieter. I rate this brass with Lapua.

TTI is or was good brass, i dont know who made it for them, they would not tell me.

Newest Jamison is good brass, annealed necks form very easy and neck turn slick.

Other i dont know about.

Dave

re Bertram brass- My mail right or wrong was originally the 408 brass was being made by Bertram here in AUS exclusive for Cheytac. Apparently they promised to buy it on mass , then never got back to him. I was then told Jammeson was making it for them.

I was given advice to avoid the bertram brass in the 408 case, apparently not in the same league as the others mentioned. In fact I have one of the cases sitting in front of me from Bertram, but none of the others.

Id go with what those guys using the cases personally suggest, but thought I'd let you know what my research told me about the brass being made a few hundred miles from my home down under.

Cheers

DUH

G'Day Down Under Hunter,

I appreciate the advice. I will avoid Bertram.

I got an email this afternoon from a friend that is giving up his 408 project and agreed to sell me all 97 pieces of his XM-2 brass. I need about 50 to 100 more pieces if I can find them. Based on the posts here, I need to go with either XM-2 or TTI.

In one of the earlier posts by Black Diamond he said that I can order XM-2 brass from Dieter. Would you happen to know how I can contact Dieter?

Thanks,
Dennis
Temporarily on Night Shift

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.