Which is Better?

Chenault

I am new to long range shooting and just wanted to ask. Which is Better? A heavy non fluted barrel? Or a fluted barrel?

A couple of facts about them.

1st, If you take identical barrels and flute one of them, the non-fluted barrel is more rigid. It takes a fluted barrel of identical weight at the same length to = the rigidity of the non-fluted barrel.

2nd Fluted barrels do not dissipate heat much faster than no-fluted as most would have you believe. If you need more heat dissipation, certain types of bead blasting creates more yet super small surface area for faster cooling.

3rd If you ever get snow or water in the flutes and pull the trigger, much of it will jetison itself onto you scope lense and render your optics useless.

4th If the smith does not cut the flutes right, they can cause inaccuracies and weak spots as well as undue stress on the barrel.

Are fluted barrels bad? Not neccecarily, but I cant think of any downsides to non-fluted barrels. If weight is a concern, then go carbon.

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of facts about them.

1st, If you take identical barrels and flute one of them, the non-fluted barrel is more rigid. It takes a fluted barrel of identical weight at the same length to = the rigidity of the non-fluted barrel.

2nd Fluted barrels do not dissipate heat much faster than no-fluted as most would have you believe. If you need more heat dissipation, certain types of bead blasting creates more yet super small surface area for faster cooling.

3rd If you ever get snow or water in the flutes and pull the trigger, much of it will jetison itself onto you scope lense and render your optics useless.

4th If the smith does not cut the flutes right, they can cause inaccuracies and weak spots as well as undue stress on the barrel.

Are fluted barrels bad? Not neccecarily, but I cant think of any downsides to non-fluted barrels. If weight is a concern, then go carbon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fluted barrels are easier to pick up when you have gloves on, slick barrels are more difficult to pick up than non-fluted ones.

Additionally, you can rechamber a non-fluted barrel more times that a fluted one.

James

I agree with meichle.For myself, I cant see any advantage for fluting.It can save weight on a heavy barrel hunting gun but again I would just as soon go with a slightly lighter contour to make a weight limit/goal than to flute.

[ QUOTE ]
Dave, what i am trying to ask is what would be better for an all purpose rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello,

You can purchase three non-fluted barrels for two fluted barrels. I don't think that fluting adds 50% to barrel life.

James

A fluted barrel will cool a little faster than a non fluted barrel , like it was mentioned a fluted barrel will be stiffer than a non fluted barrel OF THE SAME WEIGHT because it'll typicaly be larger in diameter.
Mike rock has a flute desgine and process thats specificaly for making the barrel lighter with larger deep flutes where Kreiger uses more shollow narrow flutes to increase surface area.
If you looking tohave a heavy barrel that cools faster than a conventional barrel then alot of folks will radial flute the barrel.

All in all I like fluted barrel simply cause I like the way they look

remington270,

There is no doubt in my mind that to me the fluted barrel is much better.

Why, because I like 'em better. And I bet that's just about what it comes down to across the board.

I also gather that it is better to order the barrel fluted from the manufacturer and not have it done by the smith who builds the rifle. That just seems a reasonable consideration.

PS: Some would say the non-fluted is better as it is on the order of $150 less expensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I never tested how much faster a fluted colls vs. Non-fluted, but if you shooting big game, who cares.

I like Fluted because it looks cooler. Like Roy said, it better cause I like it.

I will say that I have alternated shots between two rifle, one fluted and the other not, I never noticed any substantial difference in cooling time. The both get hotter and hotter the more you shoot. I wait between shots anyway to avoid a egg-frying barrel.

Most of my experience, about 90% of the barrels I use are Lilja barrels. From what I have found over the years chambering well over 300 of these barrels of every contour and taper and flute design that Dan offers is the following.

For barrels over a #6 contour standard size flutes(5/16" cutter) will make no difference in accuracy comparing fluted and non fluted barrels. It is largely cosmetic. Barrel cooling is a factor to some degree. In windy areas, a fluted barrel will cool measureably quicker then a non fluted. In calm conditions, the difference is much less.

In barrels over #8 contour up to the straight cylinder barrels fluting is completely cosmetic and barrel cooling is really no different between fluted and non fluted barrels simply because of the mass of the barrels in this size class. Once that much steel warms up, only time in cool temps will cool it down.

For contours under #6 to about #4 which is about as light as Dan will flute, standard size flutes will not have much effect on accuracy. Large flutes(7/16" cutter) can reduce the rigidity of a barrel to the point that barrel whip becomes an issue and accuracy will suffer.

For this reason. here are my recommendations. If a customer wants a lightweight rifle, under 7 lbs rifle weight, go with a barrel contour in the #4 and under range without flutes.

If they want a medium weight sporter, barrels from #5 up to #6 can be used with standard size flutes and #6 and #7 contour can be used with larger flutes to deduce weight but have no ill effect on accuracy.

For heavy rifles, flutes just give a rifle that custom look. Nothing neater then a 3/8" wide flute on a heavy barrel!!!

Remember though that fluting must be done properly. I never recommend fluting a barrel after it leaves the manufacturer. It should be fluted in the right stages of barrel making and should be stress relieved after the fluting is performed to eliminate any possible issues with stesses.

Just my 2 cents.

Kirby Allen(50)

"Remember though that fluting must be done properly. I never recommend fluting a barrel after it leaves the manufacturer. It should be fluted in the right stages of barrel making and should be stress relieved after the fluting is performed to eliminate any possible issues with stesses."

Good advice.

James

Kirby, ditto what you say. I have a #7 Lilja on my 338 Lapua with flutes and it looks great. I just order it fluted and thats it. You would have to be pretty dumb to flute a barrel after you buy it.

I just love those Lilja's. I like krieger also, but I'm partial to Dan. Great guy as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.