Which is 'better' - Savage, or remington.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by petenz, Nov 3, 2008.

1. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

Like it says - which action is better? Taking into account accuracy potential, strength, cost, and so forth.

2. Savagebien

Savagebien Well-Known Member

here we go again, get ready for lots of opinions and ppl with different experiences.... might want to try to search on this some, i think it was discussed not that long ago, i know similar stuff was.

3. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

I did a search for 'savage vs remington' but those words are so common that it came up with about a million unrelated threads

4. owen_n_wa

owen_n_wa Member

i have had both, and both were very accurate with hand loads

5. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

I have both. They can both be super accurate, mine are all 1/2 MOA or better.

The following is my opinion.

Rem side:
    I like the feel of the Remington bolt throw, not as 'sticky/sloppy' as Savage.

I like the location of the safety better than the Savage.

More aftermarket parts avail for Rem 700 than Savage. Triggers etc.

Savage side:
    Can swap barrels yourself.

Accutrigger is pretty darn good once you get used to it.

AJ

6. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

Here goes another Ford, Chev and Dodge thread.

Remington is the best. JMHO

By the way Ford is better than the rest too.:):):)

7. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

As AJ said the safety location is enough of a reason for me to turn my head. But that is just me though.

I have shot a number of Savages and they all went bang....just like my Remingtons and Winchesters.

8. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

Pretty much all comes down to personal preferance. Myself I prefer the Rems.

9. jcoop

jcoop Well-Known Member

I think it a personal thing. If you like to work on your own guns the savage is defiantly easier, especially if you do not have your own lath. If you want a different bolt handle, bolt head, barrel, trigger, etc. just buy it an put it on. Aftermarket availability is getting pretty good now. With pretty much anything one could do to a remington available. I have built both and found it is much easier to make a savage shoot, as they have a floating bolt head and truing the face is not needed like it is on a Remington.
    You will get more oohs and ahhhs ot of a Remington if that is what you are after. It is also easier to get your money out of a custom if it is built on a remington.

For me the more modular design of the savage is genius and for that it gets my vote. More people like the remington than the savage but I think this is as much the sheep factor as it is a preference. I think if everyone had to use both for a year it would be closer to a 50/50 split on which ones people prefer.

10. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

First of all let me say, I am only talking about the heavy barrel versions of each. I know the sporter, pencil thin barrels can be and are accurate, I just don't have any! A few years ago and I would have jumped up and down and screamed "Remington". I now own both and a couple of Winchesters and I've shot some fantastic groups with all (M700;Sendero/VS/PSS, 110FP, 112BVSS, M70;HVB). They all have lots of potential and some require more tuning than others. JohnnyK.

11. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

So neither action is objectively better than the other, entirely forgetting factory barrels and stocks and so forth?

The floating bolt head/multiple piece bolt on the savages doesn't cause problems?

Everyone should buy savages then, since a stevens 200 is cheaper than a remington SPS.

12. jcoop

jcoop Well-Known Member

Im glad you see it my way!:D just kidding.

All the pressure is on the bolt head not the bolt body so no problems on the floating head.;)