Which is 'better' - Savage, or remington.

petenz

Like it says - which action is better? Taking into account accuracy potential, strength, cost, and so forth.

here we go again, get ready for lots of opinions and ppl with different experiences.... might want to try to search on this some, i think it was discussed not that long ago, i know similar stuff was.

I did a search for 'savage vs remington' but those words are so common that it came up with about a million unrelated threads

I have both. They can both be super accurate, mine are all 1/2 MOA or better.

The following is my opinion.

Rem side:
I like the feel of the Remington bolt throw, not as 'sticky/sloppy' as Savage.

I like the location of the safety better than the Savage.

More aftermarket parts avail for Rem 700 than Savage. Triggers etc.

Savage side:
Can swap barrels yourself.

Accutrigger is pretty darn good once you get used to it.

AJ

Here goes another Ford, Chev and Dodge thread.

Remington is the best. JMHO

By the way Ford is better than the rest too.:):):)

As AJ said the safety location is enough of a reason for me to turn my head. But that is just me though.

I have shot a number of Savages and they all went bang....just like my Remingtons and Winchesters.

I think it a personal thing. If you like to work on your own guns the savage is defiantly easier, especially if you do not have your own lath. If you want a different bolt handle, bolt head, barrel, trigger, etc. just buy it an put it on. Aftermarket availability is getting pretty good now. With pretty much anything one could do to a remington available. I have built both and found it is much easier to make a savage shoot, as they have a floating bolt head and truing the face is not needed like it is on a Remington.
You will get more oohs and ahhhs ot of a Remington if that is what you are after. It is also easier to get your money out of a custom if it is built on a remington.

For me the more modular design of the savage is genius and for that it gets my vote. More people like the remington than the savage but I think this is as much the sheep factor as it is a preference. I think if everyone had to use both for a year it would be closer to a 50/50 split on which ones people prefer.

First of all let me say, I am only talking about the heavy barrel versions of each. I know the sporter, pencil thin barrels can be and are accurate, I just don't have any! A few years ago and I would have jumped up and down and screamed "Remington". I now own both and a couple of Winchesters and I've shot some fantastic groups with all (M700;Sendero/VS/PSS, 110FP, 112BVSS, M70;HVB). They all have lots of potential and some require more tuning than others. JohnnyK.

So neither action is objectively better than the other, entirely forgetting factory barrels and stocks and so forth?

The floating bolt head/multiple piece bolt on the savages doesn't cause problems?

Everyone should buy savages then, since a stevens 200 is cheaper than a remington SPS.

So neither action is objectively better than the other, entirely forgetting factory barrels and stocks and so forth?

The floating bolt head/multiple piece bolt on the savages doesn't cause problems?

Everyone should buy savages then, since a stevens 200 is cheaper than a remington SPS.

Im glad you see it my way!:D just kidding.

All the pressure is on the bolt head not the bolt body so no problems on the floating head.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.