which is better

huntwithme

I read a lot on the 243ai and the 25/06ai in this thread. my question is are these better than say the 240 weatherby or the 257 weatherby. using the same bullets in each caliber like the 100 grn in the 24 cal. and the 110 in the 25 cal.

I have both a .25-06 AI and a .257 Wby, and I would say the .25-06 AI is a better caliber. With the same bullets it produces similar velocities, but with less recoil, less muzzle blast, exponentially cheaper brass, better brass life, and 10+ grains of powder less than the .257 Wby.

I would also say that the .243 AI is more efficient than the .240 Weatherby, maybe not as fast but a lot easier on brass and powder. My Dad has a .240 that he loves but he got all of his brass back when you could find it and afford it. It will push a Hornady 87gr HPBT at 3500fps out of a 26" barrel with 55grs IMR 7828 but the .243 Improved will launch the same bullet at 3400 and it burns about 10grs less powder when using IMR 4350. Case life is probably better with the .243 AI as well. He never shot any 100s through his rifle but I would venture to say the .240 will push a 100gr slug at 3250fps and the .243AI around 3150fps so still only 100fps slower with around 10grs less powder.

who makes the dies for the 243ai or the 25/06 ai. would both 243ai and the 25/06ai benefit by a 26 inch barrel or is the 24 good enough. I have a lft handed tikka in 243 right now and my friend has a lft handed 25/06 tikka. would all I need is a barrel change. I see most people use light bullets in the 243ai. does the 100 or even the 90 work good in the 243ai for deer and antelope. I'm trying to talk myself into the changeover.

who makes the dies for the 243ai or the 25/06 ai. would both 243ai and the 25/06ai benefit by a 26 inch barrel or is the 24 good enough. I have a lft handed tikka in 243 right now and my friend has a lft handed 25/06 tikka. would all I need is a barrel change. I see most people use light bullets in the 243ai. does the 100 or even the 90 work good in the 243ai for deer and antelope. I'm trying to talk myself into the changeover.
243 AI would be ok with a shorter barrel, since it has a .308 based case, but a 26" barrel would add some velocity.

The .25-06 AI, I wouldn't use anything shorter than a 26" barrel. 26" is perfect for it.

I generally use ONLY 26" (or longer) barrels, unless it is a .308 Win. In which case you can get by with a 20" barrel, but even that said, my .308 has a 24" heavy barrel.

You can use a 24" barrel on a .25-06 and .25-06 AI, and it will be fine, but you will get a little more velocity with a 26" barrel.

You can't use a .25-06 AI barrel on a .243 rifle.......The .243 is a short action caliber, and the .25-06 is a long action caliber.

You can put a .243 on a long action, but you can't put a long action caliber on a short-action receiver...That wouldn't make any sense.

Are you talking about trading your 243 rifle for your buddy's 25-06 complete rifle? If so, that would be a better option than just trading barrels.

I gues my main question is when converting from a 243 to a 243ai do you only have to get a new barrel . it comes with a 22 inch. i'm trying to use the tikka rifle due to it's light weight. the tikka weighs only 6.2 pounds.

I gues my main question is when converting from a 243 to a 243ai do you only have to get a new barrel . it comes with a 22 inch. i'm trying to use the tikka rifle due to it's light weight. the tikka weighs only 6.2 pounds.
You don't have to get a new barrel... You just have to have a gunsmith open up the standard .243 chamber in your barrel to .243 AI with a .243 AI finishing reamer. Shouldn't cost you more than $100-150.

Same goes for the .25-06. Unless he just WANTS a new barrel.

But you will have to buy new dies specifically for the .243 AI chambering. I recommend Redding or RCBS.

I read a lot on the 243ai and the 25/06ai in this thread. my question is are these better than say the 240 weatherby or the 257 weatherby. using the same bullets in each caliber like the 100 grn in the 24 cal. and the 110 in the 25 cal.

Better, is a relative term and as such, fairly unreliable as a discussion term and/or decision maker. As posted by others, Efficiency, brass life, bore life etc as defined discussion topics are far more useful to make an educated decision.

I'm a fairly big 6mm fan, owning at least 3 right now. Of the two, i'm afraid the 6mm, from an external ballistics perspective would be my hands down choice. When/if a heavier, higher BC .257 comes out, the vote could very easily swing the other way; we're just not there yet.

My first wildcat chamber was the .243AI. What a great little round, especially now that Lapua brass is available. You could use Lapua in the 25-06 as it's parent case, the 30-06 is made by Lapua however, there will be quite a bit of work involved.

You will find, as most experienced reloaders have; the design of the AI cases have a tendency to mask pressure until you're well over the threshold. You will also find that the 40* shoulder will limit brass growth, mitigating the amount of trimming needed. You may also find that the AI's can promote difficult feeding from a factory mag box, a little elbow grease can/should fix that.

I've since burned out my original 243Ai barrel & moved on to the 6mmAI, which I believe offers even more "bang for the buck" than the little winny. The caveat being, you get Rem brass or you get Rem brass :cool:.

As Mud said, your local 'smith should have no difficulty opening your factory chamber to the AI. They should also warn you that it is not guaranteed & "accidents" do happen while chambering.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.