Full lenght sizing VS necksizing, which is better

Desert Fox

I need some insight from everyone regarding this topic. I always preferred neck sizing over full lenght sizing. The only time I full sized is when I'm using once fired brass from another rifle. Other than that, all my full lenght sizing dies are not use often. How about you guys?

Read this article( http://www.6mmbr.com/reloadingfroggy.html) at the 6BR forum. This guy full lenght size all his brass. Tried his procedure and got the following result.

Caliber: 308 Winchester
Bullet: 155 grain Scenar
Brass: Federal Gold medal
Primer: Federal 210M
COAL: 2.835

5 Shot String (Data from Pact Professional Chrono)

001: 2902.8 fps
002: 2904.9 fps
003: 2900.7 fps
004: 2904.9 fps
005: 2914.4 fps

SD: 5.2
CV: 0.18 %

MAD: 3.5
CV: 0.12%

AV: 2905.5
ES: 13.7 fps

High: 2914.4 fps
Low: 2900.7 fps

Group: Not shooting for group but, still measured .467"@100yards

Your brass will last longer neck sizing, as for more accurate, in most rifles neck sizing shows better groups. VERY nice ES on your tests though. Take 20rds of FL sized and prepped and 20rds of neck sized. Move your target to 600yds and repeat, then PLEASE post your findings.

What really amazing about this is that, the SD is in the single digit. Even the extreme spread is still pretty low. Used the Lyman DPS to weigh the charges. I verified the powder drop with my Hornady balance beam and, it's within 1/10 of a grain. Full lenght sizing was done using Lee die. Brass was trimmed using Lee case lenght gage and cutter. Champering was done using Lyman VLD champering reamer. Bullet setting was done using regular RCBS die. Brass prep includes neck turning using Foster HOT 100 just to uniform neck thickness all around. Primer pocket was squared using EJS primer pocket uniformer and flash hole deburred using RCBS flash hole deburring tool. All reloading was done on an old RCBS RS Press.

I'll try this load at our 500 meter range. I'll post the result here. Thanks.

Your link isn't working. From what I've gathered reading posts over the years MOST benchresters are FL sizing. But, they are using dies that are custom made to match their chambers. Seems most of them want to make sure there is not going to be a problem with any tension while closing the bolt and therefore they are bumping the shoulder ever so slightly every time. The way that I gather it the dies are made to barely resize the brass (except for the shoulder bump)and they don't even use an expander ball.

Here is another great link.....you'll see all kinds of different ways to prep brass from well known experts. Some guys don't do much....others are so sanitary about reloading that they wear latex gloves!!

http://www.6mmbr.com/topguns.html

Don't know if you read it or not but the latest Shooting Times Magazine has a really surprising article on a factory Savage rifle made for match shooting. This rifle shot 7 different loads to under 2" at 500 yds. Factory ammo shot every bit as good (and on average maybe better) than handloads. Kind of made me believe that a good...no great.....gun isn't going to be that fussy about whether you neck size, FL size, Collet size, body die, or care about runnout.

there actually is something in between.

Adjust you size die to only bump the shoulder no more than .002. That is what most wanting extreme accuracy do if the FL size.

All you are trying to do is get enough sizing to chamber smoothly.

BH

Here is some good reading. Wow...if forester does this for $10 extra what a great deal.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/1464783.htm

I'd probably send them one of my dies but it makes really good ammo just the way they are. With a little fiddling to get the expander centered in the die they make really good runnout just the way they come.

Actually depends on the chamber and the action of the firearm. FL for auto loaders, NK for bolts. Some bolts like FL sizing however. And with some very tight custom chambers, FL with a custom die is mandatory, while other custom chambers require no sizing at all.
db

Wow...if forester does this for $10 extra what a great deal.

i had them make a 338/300 FL die for me and i requested the neck at .362 i think this is absolutely the best way to get the straightest brass.

Dave
I'm looking for some new 338 lapua dies. This sounds like the way to go. A .362 neck would put me .004 under.
Wadeeya think??
Phil

I've had extremely good luck with the Lee Collet neck die.

No lube is needed. No "snap back" from a neck expander being withdrawn from a die. Fast and very easy to use. Little if any lengthening of brass.

If I was competing it would be a different story but for my target shooting, varminting and long range hunting the Lee Collet die has always gotten the job done and my actual time at the loading bench has been hugely reduced.

$bob$

I'm ordering one of this for my 308. I heard a lot of good things about the Lee Collet neck sizer die.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.