Which dies for the 300 rum

NotEnoughTriggerTime

I bought a 300 RUM last year, and have been shooting factory fodder to build up a supply of cases to start reloading with (rem brass). I'm finally getting enough brass together to start to seriously thinking about purchasing reloading dies.

I've been thinking about going the minimalist route - skip the full length sizing, and neck size only. Up to this point, I've always full length sized everything, but since the RUM is such a long case, I would think full length sizing would probably result in some pretty serious case streching.

Is this a good idea with the RUM?

What brand of dies should I be considering for doing this/ what dies have you had good luck with?

How do you decap the primer when neck sizing only?

I have a set of standard RCBS 7mm RM dies, and a set of standard Redding .300 Jarrett dies, both 3 die sets, that have both turned out ammo capable of 1/2 MOA or slightly better, from 8 lb custom hunting rifles. Culled brass, benchrest prep of cases, match bullets, weighed charges. I usually neck size only until cases get tight, then FL resize using Redding comp. shell holders just enough to let the bolt close smoothly. My neck dies also decap.

In my RUM, I found the case "grew" too much after only a few firing. That lead to stiff chambering. I took DC's advice and FL size with every firing. Some brass past 12 firings and no problems. I use off the shelf Lee dies.

Best if to try a few different things and see what works for your chamber.

Jerry

Do you guys do much case trimming?

If so, how many loadings on average do you have to trim some off?

do you use an inside the neck reamer, or turn the necks from the outside?

sorry for all the questions - just getting back to reloading after a 10 year hiatis, and i've noticed a lot of different opinins on this subject lately.

I've never used anything but Lee dies, and haven't had any problems either. I am open to other options though.

My RUM is factory, so I don't do as much case prep as with a custom gun. I still uniform the primer pockets and debur the hole. I also run a deburring tool inside and outside the case mouth. That's about it.
db

I use a set of Forster die as
regular full sizer
full sizer modify for wilson bushing
seater with seater plug honned to match bullet shape

that work very nice

good shooting

DAN TEC

Been there, done that. Buy the Redding Competition FL bushing die set.

I have a Redding bushing neck die, but I don't recommend it at all. Concentricity issues mainly, but you will need to bump the shoulder every other firing anyway, trust me, so get the Comp FL set and be done with it.

I get a tad over .005" additional case length after sizing, but I still trim every time because I keep them so close to the end of the chamber.

Although I had great luck with getting identical case capacities from three seperate lots of Remington factory brass for my 300 Ultra, I still recommend spending time with the same lot# for a "best" guarantee.

Good luck.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.