Which dies for 338-378 Wby?

el matador

I'm getting ready to start loading for this monster and the selection of dies is quite limited. I prefer the Redding bushing neck dies used in conjunction w/body die and their competition seater, but Redding only sells the basic dies in this caliber. Hornady has a set that looks decent, but again just a FL sizer. Then there's the basic RCBS set. What is everyone using? I want good dies but don't particularly feel like ponying up for a custom set.

The redding dies work great and you can add a micrometer seating stem. I have thousand of 338-378 cartridges loaded with them. I'm not a fan of the RCBS stems. That being said I just purchased a set of the new Hornadys for a 378 Weby and I am impressed! Like the seater and orderd micrometer for it.

Great caliber, go ahead improve your Lapuas, create your Edge +P, should have just started with the Weby.

The RCBS bullet seating plus FL and neck resizers treat me well on a RCBS rock chucker press.

IN addition to my post, I will be probably be looking into a mic seater once I figure out my favorite pill to shoot.

Great caliber, go ahead improve your Lapuas, create your Edge +P, should have just started with the Weby.

I "dig" this quote.

I use a Hornady with excellent results. I if I had the chance would try a set of Forresters out and have them set the neck in the die to my chamber. I am not willing to change due to how much can you approve upon .35 groups that the Hornady delivers?

Not to hijack but what are you all shooting. I have had best accuracy/velocity luck with Retumbo. Been shooting the 280 Hornady and 250 grn Berger OTM.

I'm not shooting anything yet! I have some 250 and 225 Accubonds sitting around, hoping to find a good load with the 250s and Retumbo or H1000.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Hornady dies with an added micrometer. Thanks for the replies so far.

el, it's probable most Weatherby owners are asking the same question. Why no quality bushing dies for Weatherby? First to offer them for all the Weatherby calibers should make a fortune.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.