338-378 wby 225 CE Bullet

Long Time Long Ranger

Shot several rifles this morning and just continue to be amazed at what this rifle is doing with the 225 cutting edge bullets. Found a new load the rifle really likes. 128.5 grains of H-870 with a COAL of .411. Five shot group velocity was 3527, 3530, 3531, 3529, 3527. The group was 1.35" at 400 yards. The bc is still holding around .65 at this velocity. I do some radical things sometimes to find sweet spots. What I found with other rifles is the CE bullet does very well with a long jump into the lands. I seated the bullets way deeper than recommended with the seal tite band probably near .2 into the case instead of outside the case mouth. Other loads have shot very well but this radical step really brought this load into something way cool to shoot. 70 fps slower with the same powder charge and the bullet seated just outside the case mouth. also larger velocity spreads. The load is not a hot load at all with no pressure signs. I can go up a couple grains if I want but this is the sweet spot.

I have had this rifle for many years and it has been my go to long range hunting rifle for all those years. Through all those years it has shot all kinds of bullets and all kinds of powder well. Just really easy to get this rifle to shoot. About anything shoots well in it. 28" Hart 1-10 twist with standard wby freebore on a mk 5 action. But I have never shot this high a bc bullet this fast. This rifle is a lazer with the 225 ce bullets and just way fun to shoot. Over 6200 foot pounds of energy. Over 3100 foot pounds at 800 yards. I am good with mil dots to over 1200 yards.

The only problem it weighs 10 1/2 pounds scoped out which makes it hard to backpack. I have backpacked it for years but the little tikka sure feels better every year as I get older. Decisions, decisions. This gun has got to go to Alaska this year with the Tikka 338 SIN. I have got to shoot at least one caribou with it just for the cool factor.

Outstanding report, that is some crazy good shooting, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the CE bullets perform on game. It's odd to think you can seat the seal tite band inside the neck & obtain better performance!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Shot a few groups this morning at 400, 600 and 1000 yards with a different seating depth. Seated down to 3.97" coal with 128.5 grains H-870 and got excellent results. Two 1000 yard groups gave 7.61 and 8.39". This load averaged 3527 fps for the ten shots with eight fps spread. The BC is definitely above the listed .64. I gave preliminary tests earlier but now have sufficient data to say the bc is over the listed .64.

I have tested these bullets in two rifles with the wby freebore. This one and my 340 wby. With both they like the bullets seated way down in there .2" or further deeper than recomended. With my standard chambers they seem to like being seated right at the recomended depth. I just load them where they shoot best and I can't argue these hunting weight rifles shooting these kind of groups.

I am loading up some of the 252 grain bullets this evening in a couple big 338's and see what they do. They are beautiful bullets for sure. Probably try them in the 338 Lapua, 338-300 RUM and another 338-378 wby.

LRLR,
A big-time thanks for taking the time to test and report on the performance of the CE bullets in a variety of calibers and cartridges. Excellent data that you're sharing with us! If these bullets perform well on game for you this hunting season, you'll be saving the rest of us a lot of time, effort, and money - when we start tinkering with the CE bullets.

Shot several groups yesterday between 600-1100 yards all with excellent accuracy with an average velocity around 3525 fps. At this velocity in this rifle the BC continues to exceed the listed .64. If testing on caribou next month goes well I am switching my other rifles over to this bullet. It is amazing to shoot this big a bullet, with this high a BC, this fast, with this kind of accuracy. If it does well on game this is great.

Thanks for the update, let us know how the 252s turn out. Are you going to try any 275grs? It sounds like they are on the edge of "standard big magnum 338s", they recomend MV of 3k and a 1 in 9" twist. Looking forward to how they work on game. Good luck with the caribou!

I have just flat ran out of time to test any more. Leave for Alaska this weekend. So I will do the 252's when I return. I don't have any 275's. The 225's and 252's easily carry me out to 1300+ yards so that is all I will test. I have the 338 SIN and 300 winchester ready for light carry rifles and this 338-378 wby for some fun long range stuff 1000+ yards. Got five tags so I can experiment a little with the bullets in different calibers at different velocities. All three of these rifles are shooting good enough to kill a caribou at 1000 yards.

Good luck on your Alaska hunt. When you get back, maybe we can hunt some elk. My favored elk area Double Cabin in Dubois is on fire right now, could be interesting what changes that might have.

Thanks, hopefully I can find a few caribou. My wife was working dispatch when that one got called in. Got in a big beetle kill area and exploded over 3500 acres the first day. Hope it doesn't ruin your elk hunting. Trip to Worland today got cancelled. We can get in touch when I get back from Alaska.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts