Which daypack to use

Bulseyetom

I have several heavy rifles that I hunt with on occasion and have grown fond of a biathalon type rifle sling which keeps the muzzle heavy rifle from wanting to tip upside down while hiking. I have been using a Kifaru carrying system that attaches to my pack for all day trips but for those morning or afternoon hunts where you want to pack a flashlight, water, jacket and a snack I would like to find a pack or fanny pack that would allow me to carry my rifle on my back with the biathalon sling and still be able to get it on and off easily. Anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking of some kind of haversack type pack that fits over one shoulder with a waist belt that would hang on my left side instead of the middle of my back. Thanks for any ideas. Tom

You should consider the gun runner pack by eberlestock. It looks awesome and the rifle can be drawn while still Wearing the pack.

+1 on the gun runner. It carries the rifle well and has just enough room for your other essentials. The only issue I had with it was the waist belt was a little cheesy for me so I just sewed a heavier padded belt on it. Works great now.

Randy

The only thing that bothers me with day packs is what happens if you kill something? Is the gunrunner big enough to carry a elk hind quarter with the rest of your stuff? I just bought the J107 dragonfly and it zips up to make the pack smaller and carry your stuff for the hunt. If you kill something then you can unzip the back and the pack expands out to carry the meat. I think it is the best of both worlds.

I have an Eberlestock with a built in scabbard and I have a little trouble drawing the rifle out. I did pack out a boned out deer with it last year by putting most of the meat in the scabbard department. The rifle I have most trouble with has a 27" varmint contour barrel and with a bipod attached it is way barrel heavy. My short old arms just don't bend like they used to and getting the rifle out can turn into a real pain! Tom

I have a J107 Dragonfly as well, and love it, but it is more than I like for a day pack.
I would remommend looking at eberlestocks website. They have models from the tiny mini-me that is about like a fanny size but sits on your back (scabbard attachment optional) to the J34 which is a step down from the Dragonfly. I have a freind with the gunslinger II and Ive been very impressed. Eberlestock also has a wide variety military packs that have a wide mouth scabbard for AR 15's or larger bolt guns with big optics.

I also would recommend the Badlands Superday or Superday II. It doesnt have the totally covered scabbard, but it is a very good pack and very versitile.

I know that these are conventional packs and you may be looking for something a little diffrent, but theses are the packs that my boys and I have found work very well for all situations.

I have an Eberlestock X1E that works really well. I can get the rifle out without too much trouble but it"s easier if you take it off. I really like the pack though.

Bob

I am currently using the J34 and it is awesome. However, It is on the upper end for a day pack. I like it because it compresses down to nearly nothing but expands to accommodate everything I would ever need it to. I must say, I have been eyeing that Gun Runner though. You may be able to get an entire deer out on the first pack, However, If i get an Elk down i'm going for help.

Yeah the gun runner is pretty slick. I really like mine even though its small. In the past when I take an animal I usually take a tenderloin load back to camp, then grab the external frame pack, round up the crew and go take care of buisness.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.