Which Custom Action for 6.5x.284 Build?

Autorotate19

Hopefully within the next few months I want to start putting together parts for my first all out custom build. I want to build a 6.5x284 with an 8 twist 26" sendero contour barrel. Probably a Lilja, Hart, Broughton, Krieger, etc.... from what Iv heard cant go wrong with any of them. One thing I cant decide on is which action, Stiller, Borden, Lawton, etc......???? Any help is appreciated and I also need to decide on which smith to put it together for me so let me know what you guys think?

Thanks

I dont own one, but if I had to consider a custom gun i would get a Borden action with a Chritensenarms carbon wrapped barrel and for caibers 300 mag and smaller I'd would have to consider that Mcmillan edge stock thats only 20-22 ozs. ,But yes borden action or even that Mcmillan with the controlled round feed and three position saftey.gun)

here's my 6.5x284 BAT Action / Hart Sendero 26" 8-twist built by Defensive Edge
the action is as smooth as silk!!
rifle001.jpg

Their are several quality actions on the market today. BAT is probably the best in quality and finish but it is a little more expensive than most. I've used several Stiller actions and they seem to be a very good action for the money. Tooley's Orion action is also made by Stiller and is a good choice as well. I have a Lawton 8500 action and have built off of a few other Lawtons and not to say anything bad about them but, I'd prefer the Stiller. The model of action will depend on whether you want to build a single shot or a repeater. Any of the barrel mfg's you mentioned will work great. I'm a cut rifled fan so I'd suggest a Kreiger or Brux barrel, but have built great shooting rifles on several different barrel mfg's. I've built several quality rifles for gentleman on this site and have personally shot and worked with my own 6.5-284's for the past 10 years. I'm very familiar with the 6.5-284. Here's just a couple 6.5- .284's I've built. I'd be glad to talk to you about building your 6.5-284. My web address is www.mcrifles.com (Montour County Rifles) or give me a call at (570) 437 - 2010.

This was my 6.5-284 woodchuck until this spring when someone bought it. I've killed over 150 woodchucks with this rifle from 300 yards to 1100 yards and I had 257 rounds through it when it was sold. It would shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards all day, using 140g A-max bullets, 151g H4831 sc, Lapua Brass and Fed 210 primers. Sorry the picture is so small.
th65-2840011.jpg

This is my current personal 6.5-.284 wood chuck rifle. The stock needs re-done this winter, it's a factory finished Boyds stock. I've killed about 25 chucks this season with this rifle from 300-1000 yards. Shoots 1/4" - 3/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yards using 140g A-Max bullets, 153g H4831 sc, Lapua Brass, and Fed 210 primers.
KevinCram65-284.jpg

This was a customers 6.5
LanceOverholts65-284-1.jpg

This is my 1000 yard paper puncher. I've shot several 4" through 6" 10 shot groups with this 6.5-.284. Shoots 142 g SMK's at 2990 fps using 53.1g H4831sc, Lapua Brass and Fed 210 primers.
65-284HooverCorianHeavyGun-1.jpg

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it. It sure makes things a lot easier.

The gun needs to be a repeater so Im not sure which actions that eliminates. Also I know it varies between smiths but how much would you guys estimate a smith would charge to put it all together?

Thanks

One other question, how much more velocity could I get out the 6.5x284 if I had a slightly longer barrel? Like say 27 or 28in? Would it be worth it?

Thanks

From my experience with both a 27" barrel and a 30" barrel velocities weren't all that different. You'll see anywhere around 2950 - 3050 fps with a 140g bullet.

As for the action I'd recommend the Stiller Predator long action with standard mag box or a short action with a wyatts mag box cut out.

Price wise if you bought every part yourself and had the smith put everything together here's a ball park of what I would charge.

Thread, Chamber min. headspace, Fit, Crown, 320 grit finish, Engrave $200
Pillar Bed a fully inletted stock $175
Muzzle Brake if wanted $175 - $200
Odds and ends such as installing trigger, mag box, scope mounts ect. $50

Talk with who's going to be doing the build and tell them what you will be supplying yourself and what you'd like done. I normally give a very close estimate before starting any project, this way the customer isn't surprised at the end when he sees his invoice.

Last edited:
Kevin, will the Wyatts mag box increase the usable OAL of the round very much over say a standard Rem. BDL mag box????

I had the same type of project in mind and I had decided to go with a Surgeon Standard (long) repeater action. I like the fact that it has an integral recoil lug, a 20 MOA picatinny rail already machined in place, a longer bearing surface for the barrel shank and will take most Remington-compatible aftermarket items, such as firing pins, triggers, etc.

The barrel would be a Pac-Nor 26", 6.5 mm dia, 1 turn in 8" twist, 0.700" muzzle diameter, with either 3-groove or polygonal rifling.

Since this rifle would be for long range hunting, the stock will be the Mcmillan General Purpose (M-40) model with the higher comb. Trigger woul be a Jewell.

Then I woke up from my daydream and realized I already have a similar set-up, except the action is a trued Winchester Model 70 in .25-06 Ackley which shoots better than I can, so I'll just order the Pac-Nor barrel and save myself a bundle, when the current barrel goes.

Check out the Surgeon actions!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.