Which Action For Left Hand .300 WSM Build?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by lgraham, Jan 19, 2013.

1. lgraham

lgraham Member

Thinking about doing a new custom build and it seems like the cheapest route is to go buy a new Left hand Remington SPS. However, this question that might seem a little obvious but I thought I'd ask here. I was wondering if I can get a short action(like a .308, .243, etc.) to use for this build or do I have to get a long action for the .300 WSM. Seems like I heard somewhere that the .300 WSM action is a little different than the standard 700 action and if a S/A wasn't designed for the WSM it might have issues feeding. Also, Rem does not offer a WSM action in the SPS left hand lineup so thats outta the picture.

Anyone with a better Idea and I'd like to hear it. I've tried looking for a LH 700 action alone but they seem impossible to find. Is there a place out there to buy just rem 700 actions (left hand) at decent price?

Thanks,
    Luke

2. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

Being a fellow lefty, I would scrap your search for a Remington. Here's why, once you find an action your looking at $600 just for the action. You'll want a good recoil lug, so that's another $40. Then depending on your smith you'll pay another $160-$250 to get your action blueprinted. With a WSM, I highly recommend a sako extractor, there goes another $125. My advice, spend the money on a Pierce or a Stiller. By the time your done messing w the remmy your about the same cost. Plus you'll you will truly have a "custom" rig and boy are the Pierce actions smooth. Good luck!

3. ishootkittens

ishootkittens Well-Known Member

Why a sako extractor? I have been told 1000 times to have a sako style extractor installed on my wsm. Why is that style better than say an M14 or other type of extractor?

4. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be a Sako. Can be a M16 as well. You just don't want a factory Remington extractor on a magnum cartridge. In my years of hunting and guiding I have seen several fail and a person left with an empty casing in the chamber. It's a very good insurance policy. It'll take you one time for your Remington to fail to make you wished you'd made that $125ish investment. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

5. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

An M16 style extractor is safer than the Sako due to the pinning. In the event of a case rupture the Sako can travel down the bolt race and into your face.

You can get a Stiller LH WSM action for less than $1000.

Or you could go the budget route with a Savage action and spend the rest on tools, custom barrel, stock, trigger, and recoil lug. You could have all of that for about $1000.

Here's my 338 Edge that I built on a LH Savage action for about $1000 before optics.

[​IMG]

6. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

7. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

If you're worried about cost, you might look at the Savage 16FLHSS in 300WSM. Stainless left hand receiver, Accutrigger, easy barrel swap.