Long or short action for .284 build?

I, just a few weeks ago, completed a conversion from SA to LA on a 6.5mm x .284. 7mm bullets won't be much shorter than 6.5mm bullets. LA allows the throat to be lengthened so bullets can be seated so no bearing surface is below the neck in the case (the boat tail may be). Allows for the use of case capacity for powder, not bullet. Several years ago I saw a Rem. 722 with an extended mag box, very nicely done. One may consider a Wyatts' extended mag box on a short action if it will allow enough length (3.060"). All the above is in ref to Rem. 700 actions. Montana Rifle Co.s' short action has a std. mag box length of 3 1/8", ideal (IMO) for any cartridge based on the .284 Win. case.

I recently had my 6-284 get finished up on a short M700 receiver. It has the stock bdl mag. assembly.

Even with the lighter bullets, 75VMax, mine has to be seated pretty deep, much deeper than I would like, in order to get them to feed properly. Would a HS Prec. or Seekins det. mag. system extend my O.A.L. ??

To do all over again I would most likely use a long action or set it up as a single shot. That is, unless the det. mag. setup would give me more usable oal. How well does the 284 case feed thru a det mag assembly?

Anyone have any input on which one to use for a .284 build?

The 284 is long enough to need a long action but short enough to be used in most short actions
but in the SA seating depths become important.

So my recommendation would be the long action. Because you will have all the flexibility you need.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.