.284 Long Range Build

Red Beard

If you were wanting to build a Leight weight long range rig what would be the blue prints? I have a Kimber 8400 in 270 WSM and am thinking about rebarreling into something in the 7mm family. I have asked the question on a couple other fourms and have recieve many helpful suggestions. I thought I would run it by you guys since Long Range seems to be your cup of tea.

Badley

If your thinkin lightwieght I would stay with what you got. The .277 may be somewhat limited in bullet wieght but it is getting better. They're fast and flat and truth be told it gets hard to shoot really far with a lightwieght rifle. If you really want a 7mm, go with the 7WSM.

...Leight weight long range rig...
...in terms of pounds or caliber???

Like angus-5024 indicated, a little heavier rifle tends to be better for long range/precision.

A muzzle brake may help. and, indexed preferably so as not to kick up dust.

7mm Rem Mag and 7WSM are good long range calibers.

You'll probably want a 9.25" twist or faster for the heavier VLDs such as the Berger 180g.

-- Richard

The 270WSM with a 150 Berger will rival some of the big calibers down range. It's an uncanny caliber that seems to defy the odds of BC when shooting. I think the simplest answer is that it can push them hard and fast. For what ever reason the .277 caliber really does a number on game too. So I would suggest hand loading 150grn either with the Hornady SST or the Berger Hunting VLD.

If you are seeking a .284 and just want to change caliber, than I suggest the .284 Winchester with 168 Berger, 162 A-max, 160 Accubond, and 180 Berger's. My other suggestion is the simple yet satisfying 7mm Rem Mag. If you want to go hot, then jump up to the 7STW.

Tank

You could always try the .284Jazz. I will probably be rebarreling my savage model 16 .300wsm to a .284jaz when i get bored with it. I have my .300rum, not much use for the .300wsm, i mainly chose it for the action. with 200gr Wildcat Bullets it would be a hell of a long bomber.

Initially I was going to try and find a 300 WSM in the Kimber Montana. Then after reading way to much I decided I needed a 7 WSM and was gonna shoot the 168 Bergers at around 3000 fps. I traded into this 270 WSM and figured a quick rebarrel would get me where I wanted to go.

But I have been doing more reading and now just wanna check all other possibilities before I start the build process. I have a kimber montana in 7mm-08 and love it, actually I gave the gun to my 9yr old so its not mine anymore. But I liked shooting it so much I wanted to get a montana for myself.

As far as a leight weight gun not being good for long range, I dont really buy into that. After the bullet leaves the barrel I dont see how the weight of the gun can effect performance. I can see were in a multiple shot senario a thin barreled gun would start to fall off in performance. But one shot kills is the goal.

Badley

The weight of the gun has more to do with making it a stable shooting platform. A heavier gun will make it much easier to hold steady through the enitial stages of recoil. And also helps you to spot your hits and make faster follow up shots.

Red Beard,

You are correct in that people make excellent one shot kills with light weight rifles and pistols all the time.

I hope you did not take offense to my comments. Nobody said you can't shoot well with a lighter rifle. It's all relative and if you're comfortable with your rifle, you only need to satisfy yourself.

However, everything else being equal, a heavier gun is likely to remain more stable before, during, and after squeezing the trigger. At least for that 1/24,000 of a second and 3/8" of recoil while the bullet remains in the barrel. It can be one of many factors affecting the initial shot as well as subsequent shots when shooting for groups.

Becoming proficient at long range generally requires practice. And, heavier guns, with heavier barrels, tend not to wear on some of us less than lighter ones and you don't have to wait so long for the barrel to cool.

Happy hunting,
Richard

No offense taken. Thanks for throwing in on the conversation.

Red Beard,

You are correct in that people make excellent one shot kills with light weight rifles and pistols all the time.

I hope you did not take offense to my comments. Nobody said you can't shoot well with a lighter rifle. It's all relative and if you're comfortable with your rifle, you only need to satisfy yourself.

However, everything else being equal, a heavier gun is likely to remain more stable before, during, and after squeezing the trigger. At least for that 1/24,000 of a second and 3/8" of recoil while the bullet remains in the barrel. It can be one of many factors affecting the initial shot as well as subsequent shots when shooting for groups.

Becoming proficient at long range generally requires practice. And, heavier guns, with heavier barrels, tend not to wear on some of us less than lighter ones and you don't have to wait so long for the barrel to cool.

Happy hunting,
Richard

I have a Kimber 270WSM. I think elk at 600 yards is a fair distance for it the way it is set up.

How far do you plan to shoot?

If I were to change it I think a 7wsm with a longer barrel and a brake would be a good deal(I've had 3 270WSM's and 2 7mmWSM's and a 7mmRSAUM).

I plan on shooting as close as I can get to the animal. But am wanting to be able to reach as far as I am capable of. I will practice out to a thousand maybe a bit farther when that becomes real comfortable. But I dont see myself attempting to take a animal at that distance. Like I said, I will close as much distance as I can.

Last edited:
If it were my gun and it would shoot the 150gr .277 berger I would just use the rifle til it was worn out. If you just want to go .284 I would go with the 7wsm. My sister has a beutiful model 70 270wsm and her and my bother inlaw have killed elk with it out past 550 yards. And that was with the cheaper winchester super X ammo.

The 7WSM would be a great choice and a fairly easy changeover for your rig.
Do you have a balistics program?
Run the numbers and see how much you gain with the 7WSM with a 168 berger or even a 180 berger over the 270Wsm with any bullet.
You will see a difference that is very convincing.
This is a very capable 1000yard cartridge.
You just can't beat those high BC 7mm bullets
IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.