Which Bullet?

rharfo

Just bought a used HS Precision in 300 win mag. Previous owner had all the factory paperwork and the gun shot 180 Nosler under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. The owner had Hendershots do a load work up and the gun shot 168 Barnes TTSX at .398. The gun also shot Barnes 180 TTSX at .500. So do I go with Accubond 180 or Barnes? I plan to have Swarosvki do a custom dial for my Z5. I need to pick the load. I would like to make this a one load do it all gun. Your thoughts?
HS Precison 72 gr IMR 4350 Nosler 180
Hendershots extreme custom ammo 75 gr IMR 4831 168 TTSX
I didnt get the load data on the TTSX 180

For what it's worth if that was my 300 and it was going to be a all around rifle including elk and I was going to have a dial built for just one load I would test with some of the heavier bullets like the Berger 190gr and 210gr and the Accubond 200gr or similar.

Why not have two dials one for a light fast bullet for plinking and coyotes and one for a heavy elk load?

Try the loads at 200 yards and then decide.Some loads that shoot really tight at 100 yards,don't always group well at 200 yards.The loads you list are close to what I'm loading,but every rifle is different,the only way to decide is,shoot it and see.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.