Which bullet?

Jim Hundley

I have developed loads for two hunting bullets.Barnes TSX 168gr. and Nosler 180gr.Accubond.Both loads are extremely accurate.Accubond @3140fps.,TSX@3200 fps.I am hunting Texas "smallish" whitetails out to 300 yds.using a .300 Win.mag.(do I hear over gunned??).Anyway this is my go to rifle.I have harvested deer with the TSX.The entry hole is hard to find and the exit wound is nickle sized with very little blood,however the inside is a mass of jelly.Would the Accubond give a larger exit wound and bleeding in case a deer doesn't "bang/flop"and I need to follow a blood trail? Both bullets have shot to 1/2" or under at 100yds./3 shots.The ballistic numbers have them about even out to 400 yds.Which would you choose,or am I knitpicking?
Thanks for any opinions.
Jimmy

The Ballistic tips will blow up pretty bad in the lighter sizes , the 180grs should make a nice bullet but since Nosler is making the Accubonds in 150gr I'd give those a try since your not shooting out past 500yds you could run them out fast and flat

My experience with the Ballistic tips and accubonds in a 300 WM has been good on Mule Deer. I have shot many at close range (starting at 40 yards) with the 165BT and they had a exit hole the size of a quarter after going through the ribs. Last year I shot one at 400+ yards with a 200gr Accubond with the same result. None went bang-flop but only went 20 or so yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.