Which bullet would you use? Accubond or TSX

CPerkins

I have two loads that are shooting consistant 1/2 moa better groups for my 284 Win. One uses a 140 gr. Barnes TSX and the other a Nosler Accubond. Each has maintained 1/2 moa out to 400 yards ( as far as I can shoot at the range I have access to).

Which bullet would you use for whitetails ranging from 30 to 500+ yards?

What grain is the AB? Either will be a good choice I have them in 168 TSX and 180 AB for my 300 WM I also use the 140 AB in my 270 and will be used in my 270AM as a close range bullet(out to 500). Two great bullets that will serve you well.

Both are great whitetail bullets the AB might be a little less finiky but your shooting some good groups with both, Id say whichever you like the best!

Cperkins,
Either one will do what you require of it at the ranges listed, if you can do your part. The TSX is a little tougher bullet than the AB. Weight retention is almost 100% for the TSX and probably 75-80% for the AB (not exactly sure). This info can be found on the Nosler site I would imagine.
I used the .25-06 100gr TSX on whitetail a few years ago and they are absolutely dead right there (DRT). I only recovered one bullet. Deer was 200yds running straight away for the woods. I recovered the bullet under the skin in his chest. I cleaned up the bullet and weighed in on my high precision lab balance and it weighed 99.805gr. Perfect mushroom.
Can't say what the AB would have done. I haven't tried them on deer yet. JohnnyK.

The accubond gets my vote, although I am a bit biased as I haven't shot the TSX. Got lucky and and found a load that was impressive enough not to change. I use 140 AB in my STW and could not be happier. Longest whitetail to date w/ that round is 520 yds. Stuck on opposite shoulder and recovery weight was 112 grs. I am pushing them 3300 fps out of the STW.

By reading other posts, it doesn't sound like you will go wrong with either, hope I made your decision harder, LOL...

TSX are very accurate in my guns, as this 425 yard 3 shot group will attest

Groups425Yards004.jpg

They terminal performance of the TSX is also excelent as the picture of thie Zebra heart will attest... 338 Federal 210 TSx

HuntingPicturesAndBuddy047.jpg

I just shot an average sized 5 point bull elk at just over 500 yards with a 140 nosler ab from my 7mm Rem. It ran 35 yards and dropped. The bullet penetrated the fron shoulder and blew up inside. I've liked the nosler ab's...

Shoot whatever you like they'll both perform well...I'm a big TSX guy so I'm partial and will say shoot TSX, but the Accubonds shoot really well too!
Good shooting jwp, TSX's do perform...

Thanks for all the replys. My dad has a 280 rem that really liked the TSX and not the accubond. I loaded the TSX for him and loaded the Accubonds in my 284. I figure that we can try both this year and see how we like the results of each. I might even load up a few of the TSX and try them as well since they hit exactly .5 inch below the accubonds @ 100 yards.

For me it's an easy choice TSX all the way. If I'm planning on eating what I shoot definatly the Barnes. They kill great but don't blood shock the meat. What is inside the wound channel is destroyed and what is outside of the 1-4" dia. Wound channel is good eating.
So far, all wound channels are directly proportional to the diameter and speed of the X bullet and the hardness of the animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.