Which bullet for 1:10 barrel twist?

joelpresmyk8

Hey guys sorry for probably such a simple question but I am still learning a lot about rifles! I have a remington 700 30-06 with a 1-10 barrel twist and was curious if anyone had input on which factory ammo type and weight would be best for shooting out longer distances thank you so much

if your only objective is long range then hsm makes ammo with a good reputation shooting bergers. if your gun likes that ammo I would probably go with something in the 180-200 range, not sure what the offerings are but I think there is a 190vld that would probably be a good match.. as you probably know that round isnt a hot rod but it should accomplish what you are after. other options are any ammo that shoots ballistic tips or a-max or any of those higher BC bullets... if you plan to do long range hunting... well thats a whole other conversation.

if your only objective is long range then hsm makes ammo with a good reputation shooting bergers. if your gun likes that ammo I would probably go with something in the 180-200 range, not sure what the offerings are but I think there is a 190vld that would probably be a good match.. as you probably know that round isnt a hot rod but it should accomplish what you are after. other options are any ammo that shoots ballistic tips or a-max or any of those higher BC bullets... if you plan to do long range hunting... well thats a whole other conversation.

Hey thanx for the reply! I should have mentioned. I am mainly just a hunter so that would be my sole purpose

No, the 30-06 is amazing as a long range round. if you go on riflemansjournal.com. there are several articles. great round, great guns, precision ammo and skilled rifleman there. what remington 700? what scope? how does it shoot now. how is the trigger? the best factory ammo is the one that shoots best your gun. the better bullets for longer ranges have a high bc. . HSM loads several berger bullets. just buya box of each ( 168, 185, 210) and see how they do.

HSM is a good choice. I don't know if GunWerks still makes their 30-06 ammo I think it was a 185 vld load it would be a good choice but both are pricey. To realize the true potential of the 30-06 you have to reload for it. If you have little experience with long range then your going to have to shoot a lot at long distances. And that's where your going to spend a lot of money on factory ammo. I would use that money to buy a reloading kit and learn to reload. I don't reload to save money I do it to make high quality ammo (much better than any factory choice) and lots of it, so I can shoot more.
Then you will find what your rifle likes as far as bullet weight, seating depth and powder preference. Your rifle might shoot 1 moa with factory ammo and you might be satisfied with that. But when you get addicted to long range you will chase that one hole 3 shot group, and it is seldom found with factory ammo..

Hey guys sorry for probably such a simple question but I am still learning a lot about rifles! I have a remington 700 30-06 with a 1-10 barrel twist and was curious if anyone had input on which factory ammo type and weight would be best for shooting out longer distances thank you so much

1:10 twist would be good for 165-200+ grains.

Depending on how far long range is to you, you may want to stick towards the heavier end of that to give you better BC.
How far you shooting and at what?

1:10 twist would be good for 165-200+ grains.

Depending on how far long range is to you, you may want to stick towards the heavier end of that to give you better BC.
How far you shooting and at what?

Thanx for the input everyone! I do eventually want to get into reloading but as for this time in my life I have to hold off and can't go that route right now. I wish I could! But it'll have to wait for a little bit. I will be shooting to about 600 maybe 700 at the absolute furthest. I will be hunting elk out to maybe 400 and coues out to 600.

Thanx for the input everyone! I do eventually want to get into reloading but as for this time in my life I have to hold off and can't go that route right now. I wish I could! But it'll have to wait for a little bit. I will be shooting to about 600 maybe 700 at the absolute furthest. I will be hunting elk out to maybe 400 and coues out to 600.

One more question for you guys! Can I buy a couple different boxes of factory loads and test them out at 100 or would I need to shoot further out to see how they will act?

One more question for you guys! Can I buy a couple different boxes of factory loads and test them out at 100 or would I need to shoot further out to see how they will act?
I always test farther out, infact I stopped testing at 100 and started doing all of my load development at 250. I have had to many loads show promise and be very accurate then fall apart at longer range. So I did a trial and error and found if I test at 200 and beyond I can usually count on that load to be good out to 1000, but not always. But most of the time....

With a 1 -10 twist you GTG with ANY bullet made....even the Berger 230's!! If it's long range hunting...look to the 210 VLD or 215 Hybrid!!!

Hey thanx for the reply! I should have mentioned. I am mainly just a hunter so that would be my sole purpose
Try Remington Premier with the 180gr Sirocco II.

They fly well and perform very well at lower velocities.

Winchester Premiums with Accubonds or Winchester's bllistic sivertips perform well also.

If you want to shoot bears or Elk then look for something with Hornady Interbonds or Interlocks.

Lots of good choices out there for the old 06.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.