243 1:10 twist

liltank

Can I shoot 107grn Sierra's from a 1:10? I generally shoot 30's and 1:10 will get you up to 240grn's. I want to look into a Howa Axiom for a mountan rifle. No, I'm not interested in any other caliber other than the 6.5X55 sweed they offer. Brass is scarce for the sweed and there is plenty for the 243. Shots in PA are short for the most part, so I'm not interested in a heavy long range though either of these calibers are capable of it.

Thanks in advance,
Tank

I did shoot one buck at around 500 yards and I didn't find any blood, or any sign that I hit him actually. The only reason I "know" I hit him is that I had a spotter and both of us saw the impact right behind the shoulder.

I have had good expansion on everything else I have shot though, and it's possible this was just a fluke that can happen with almost any bullet. I plan on testing some more before next deer season.

Thanks TK.

I was interested in using the 105 A-Max also. I read an article on the 6mm and the 1:10 is supposed to be able to handle up to 105, but not to sure on that one. What are your thoughts?

Tank

My friend who is also on this site shoots 105 Amaxes from a 243 and a 1-10" twist with great results to 1k. He shoots a factory Savage model 10 and it is pretty impressive. Those DO work well on deer, they are pretty similar to a Ballistic Tip in performance I'd say.

Excellent, that is what I wanted to hear. Obviously everyone else knows that because they are hard to come by on Midway. I'm pretty sure I can find some around here though at my local dealers.

Thanks,
Tank

I don't know his exact load but he is only shooting them around 2850 fps. His name on here is Savagebien I believe if you wanted to PM him.

i caught you talking about me tyler! its a 1 in 9.25" twist. Last i chrono'ed it was more like 2730 dono if my throats eroding and i've lost some velo since i havent reached back to the lands or something??????? BUT accuracy is wild, so i dont care.

I have 20 odd 105gr Amax's here to try in my 1:10 sako, will see how they go

here's hoping.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.