Which Brass for the 300 RUM

I've used fully prepped Rem brass in my 300 RUM and 338 RUM. Both rifles shoot 1/2 moa when I'm on my game. I typically load at the higher end of book loads (not beyond) and get more ten 5 reloads. When resizing, I push shoulders back .002" with a Redding type S bushing die. That is plenty for a smooth feed when chambering and doesn't over stress the brass.

I don't expect magnum cartridges to get 10 or more reloads from a piece of brass and usually throw away my brass at 10 reloads even on the softer cartridges. I do not anneal.

I just haven't pony'd up for the S bushing dies yet. I have Reading dies but I really need to get the bushing dies. Varment hunter do you use the FL bushing die or just the neck sizing die. Could you post which model number die you use. I have a RBS neck sizing die but it does not bump the shoulder back at all. So I still use the FL die set up to bump .002-.003 back on the shoulder.

"I used some RL26 the other day with the 220 ELD-X and got 3025 at 87grains"

I'm getting a consistent 1/2" group at a hundred yards using RL26 with the 212 ELD-X using 87 grains. Only problem is I'm seeing powder burn around the primer on brand new brass. Its a bit too hot for my liking. Going to call Hornady and see if they have any data for their 212 using RL26.

I just haven't pony'd up for the S bushing dies yet. I have Reading dies but I really need to get the bushing dies. Varment hunter do you use the FL bushing die or just the neck sizing die. Could you post which model number die you use. I have a RBS neck sizing die but it does not bump the shoulder back at all. So I still use the FL die set up to bump .002-.003 back on the shoulder.

I use the FL bushing type S dies for all of my bolt rifles. Carefully adjusting the die to minimizie the amount of resizing is important IMO. As stated, I adjust the die to achieve a shoulder set- back of about .002". Probably .001" is enough but brass losses some tolerance after several firings and a little extra sizing doesn't hurt in a hunting rifle

It interesting the load data hornady has for retumbo on the 212 and the 220 are only .1 grain difference. RL 25 is also slight bit more on the 220 grain than the 212. at the last charge weight. I know the 220 has more bearing surface than my 230 bergers. So you think it would hit pressure sooner. I might back down 1/2 grain on the 220 and see what I get for velocity and groups. I'm thinking it will probably put me below 3000 though. Some day its going to get a make over and I still not sure if I will keep the 300 RUM. Possible a 338 edge. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.