Which Dies for Reloading a 300 RUM

so i am using just run of the mill RCBS dies for my 300rum and 308win. should i look at upgrading to the redding fl and comp seater ?

I think it would be a good idea. I've talked to the Redding guys a couple of times and they stressed using the Comp Seater. One of the guys I talked with uses the standard FL die with the Comp Seater. To get the necks concentric, a bushing die is good or use the floating expander with rubber "o" ring.

so i am using just run of the mill RCBS dies for my 300rum and 308win. should i look at upgrading to the redding fl and comp seater ?

It all depends with how happy you are with your current setup, and what kind of performance you are obtaining. I still use RCBS dies in many calibers and they do work well with proper set up. I do however, highly recommend the Redding Competition seater. I am going to try the FL S Bushing sizer when it gets here and see how it goes. I've been using the Forster FL competition dies and they also work well. We'll see how it goes with this new set up. If you want, PM me with your email and I'll send you some more info on setting up the RCBS and similiar dies.

Get the FL Type S bushing die and the comp seater. You can make really good ammo with this set-up. The neat thing is you will be able to bump your shoulder and still leave the neck partially unsized. Most of the rifles Ive dealt with gives the best performance when the ammo is loaded this way. It is not a must that you turn necks just because you are using bushing dies. I use stock FGMM brass and a 336 bushing for my pet 308. Trust me you dont have to neck turn to shoot bugholes.

Thanks everyone,

This has been very informative and I have learned a lot. I have decided on the Redding Type S Match Full Length Die Set and will be ordering very soon.

Thanks for the help

FF

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts