Which ammo for elk? 300 rum

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Crop Damage, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Crop Damage

Crop Damage Well-Known Member

Can't decide between federal's 200 gr nosler partition load and Remington's 180 scirocco. Won't be shooting more than 500 yards. 300 yards is probably more realistic. Preferences?

2. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Are you limited to factory ammo? I would lean towards the heavier bullet.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The 300 RUM is at it's best with 180 and 200 grain bullets.

Due to the RUMs velocity potential, and toughness of an Elk I recomend the bonded core bullets
    like the Accubond.

J E CUSTOM

4. Crop Damage

Crop Damage Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm torn between just buying a box of factory ammo, like these two, or trying to work up a load. I've considered accubonds, sciroccos, and partitions. I have a deadly load for my local whitetails, shooting 168 CT ballistic silvertips. I've also got a load for 190 bergers that the rifle likes. Not sure what I think about the bergers, I still have about 8 loaded rounds, but I like the CTs so much I usually use them.

I like the higher velocity of the factory sciroccos, but the 4,000 some lbs of energy from the partitions sounds pretty awesome. Worried that if I wait too long on factory ammo, it will be hard to find.

5. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

Get some 200 NAB's and Retumbo and if its like most of them you will have an elk load the first trip to the range.

6. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

remember when shooting elk that energy is only part of the equation. As JE Custom recommends, bullet construction is very important when it comes to elk. You want a tough bullet.