Which 7 would you choose?

What is the OAL of your current setup… if you currently run a SAUM?

Does anyone make M5 type bottom metal and AICS pattern mags that fit the XM length actions and a cartridge such as the SAUM?
I'm currently building a SAUM.
Mine is on a Defiance Anti X Medium action.
I am using BDL bottom.
Don't have a OAL yet.

I don't know for sure on the other bottom metal & Mags to fit Medium action.

There is a chart on Gavintoobe's youtube channel. It shows that the 7 PRC has roughly 40" less drop at 1000 than the 6.5 PRC or the 300 PRC.

I have shot 7 RM for years. So I love that cartridge.
The 7 STW seems to have a super loyal following on here and if money wasn't a thing I would have had a 7 STW already.

So, those three are something I would look into.....40" less drop at 1000 seems like a huge deal!

There is a chart on Gavintoobe's youtube channel. It shows that the 7 PRC has roughly 40" less drop at 1000 than the 6.5 PRC or the 300 PRC.

I have shot 7 RM for years. So I love that cartridge.
The 7 STW seems to have a super loyal following on here and if money wasn't a thing I would have had a 7 STW already.

So, those three are something I would look into.....40" less drop at 1000 seems like a huge deal!
If you're dialing, I don't see how drop ever matters unless you're running out of adjustment. Wind drift on the other hand...

Another vote for the 280 AI. Just a fantastic cartridge. I was using mine primarily for deer then decided I liked it so much, I'm gonna start hunting elk with it. Bought a 2nd one for my wife. No let down. One shot kills. I'm shooting Berger 175 Elite Hunters at 2930 fps. It's complete pass thru on 3 bulls and 2 cows under 500 yds. Didn't go through a bull at 717 but he didn't take a step. Sat there and got the shaky legs then down in a heap. The AI is so easy to reload for, it isn't a powder monster, very accurate and the recoil is nothin. I had a 7mm-08, 7 mag and 7 RUM. Gave the Lil 7 to my daughter. The 7 mag to my son and sold the RUM. No regrets.

I'm toying with building a 7mm of some flavor cus I don't have any 7's. My criteria for this rifle would be a standard weight of around 8-10 pounds hit steel to a 1000 and deer to 500 maybe 600.

280AI is high on my list but I also got respect for the no frills, get it done, dependable 7.08. I also think the 7 SAUM is pretty cool just haven't looked into it a ton.

28 Nosler I do not want because I like to actually shoot my sh!+ and not re-berral every 2 seasons. Also if I'm serious on taking something big at distance the 30 or 338 is coming out.

So which 7 would you build and why? Which 7 has good performance vs barrel life? Which 7 is optimal on a short action, which is better suited to long actions?
284 win on a LA or tikka
168/180 Bergers or eldms will get her done.
Relatively cheap lapua brass, very efficient case, light recoil, and well know for accuracy.

If it were me, I'd build a 7RM with an 8 twist in the barrel. Brass, dies, powders (sorta), reloading data and factory ammo are all readily available. That cartridge has been killing stuff dead for decades. When that barrel gets shot out, I'd rebarrel with a fast twist 7PRC. Brass, dies, etc. should be more available by then. Plus you'll already have a long action to build on.

Last edited: