Which 338?

ricknolan

I have a 300 win mag in a Model 70 with HS stock I am considering having re-barreled in a 338 something?

I will use the gun for elk size critters (backup for deer). I am not looking for a 1,000 yard shooter, out to 500 or 600 yards are my limit. I would like to keep the 4.5x14x40 B&C Vxiii Leupold for glass. I reload but would like to stick with non-wildcat stuff even though I have had good luck with a AI in 25-06 so I don't mind stepping across that line a bit. So my questions are…

What 338 offers the best over all performance (or should I consider a different caliber)?

Which bullet(s) should I consider using?
What twist should I get?
What barrel?
What other considerations should I factor before I start ordering parts?

Thanks for your input.

If 500-600 yds is the longest shot you'll take on an elk, most of the 338's would work fine. However, if I was you, and I'm not, I'd go with the 338 RUM. Not a wildcat, so don't have to deal with that, but plenty of power out to over 1000yds for elk. This would allow you to shoot longer as your skills, knowledge and equipment improve. JMHO. Good luck in your choice.

Many of us are waiting expectantly on the new .338 Berger bullet. Supposed to shoot in a 10 twist just fine and reportedly had a very high BC and Berger bullets are typically not expensive to boot.

+1 338RUM, I'd have a good brake installed too (I like the Defensive Edge 1" brake a lot!).

With a 26" barrel it easily do what you are wanting.

AJ

Dittos on the 338 RUM.

I'm pretty passionate about mine. It started out as a donor rifle in 338 Win and shot Wildcat 252s exceptionally well. I replaced the Win barrel with a 338 RUM sporter take off barrel. I first ran a partial Tubbs Final Finish process through it .

It shoots 225 NABs at some unmentionable velocity and the 300 SMK @ 2730.

In a 9.5# rifle with scope, I put a tupperware stock on it. Also added a Holland QD brake. Its a pleasure to shoot prone and I can spot each of my shots at any distance as long as my initial setup is good.

I have a 4.5-14 Weaver Tactical on it and wouldn't have it any other way.

HTH....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.