Which 30 cal to build

norm82

Hey guys,

Im looking for a little advice on which 30 cal to build for my next long range rifle.
I sold my 300 WM and currently don't have a 30 cal in the safe. I was thinking 300wsm or 30 Nosler. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

.300 Ackley or .30 Nosler get my vote if you want a magnum. Also, if it's mainly a range toy, everyone needs a good heavy .308 Win in the stable. The barrel life is ****-near infinite (not literally, but they last 5000+ rounds). :cool:

I've never seen these this cheap! This is basically an M24, with the same M24 barrel, that has been turned-down to a varmint/sendero contour, and sits in a different color HS Precision stock ($400+ stock). I have had this same rifle since 2010/2011, and it's been a tack-driver with everything I've shot through it from 168's up to 210/215 Bergers.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ction+Centerfire/REM+700+SS+308+24+5R+MILSPEC

300 Norma Magnum would be my choice if I was planning on reloading. Excellent ballistics, coupled with reasonable barrel life and recoil.

If you're not planning on reloading, then the 300 Win Mag has a great selection of factory loads, and ballistics that are not much below the 300 Norma Mag.

Maybe the 30 Nosler or the Norma if you want something different. Otherwise I would of kept the 300 Win Mag. They might not sound as exciting as some of the new 30 calibers on the market, but they just work. 215 Berger with H1000 and FED GM215M.

Nothing wrong with good ole 300WIN, I tend to like different though. I had a field of RUM's and they are great but recoil can get a bit much in some applications. I am currently playing with a 300ATLAS, or 300WBY improved it has went by many names. Really pleased with it you get 95% of what any big 30 can give you with just a touch more recoil of a 300WIN it's a win win, just need to hand load and buy good equipment dies etc.

Always been a really big fan of the large 30 cals and I'm a huge fan of just about anything off a 338 Lapua case so my vote would be for a 30-338 Lapua Improved. I have one and it slings the 230gr Berger 3250fps out of a 28in pipe without even breathing hard.

Another I'd give a look at is having Defensive Edge build a 300 RUM with their +P throat. If I recall, Shawn built one for himself a few years ago and it slings the 230 Berger nearly as fast as my 30-338 Improved.

I'm not sure if Shawn has ever built one but a 300 Terminator would be a sweet piece as well and I bet it would launch the 230's well above 3250.

I have had 30-338 lapua's and Lots of custom RUM's 3265fps is the most I ever got 230's going.
My current 300ATLAS is shooting them at 3020fps. that isn't a large reduction in speed for around 20% less in powder not to mention cheaper components.

As far as the rocket sled goes I am definitely on with the 30-338 Lap imp. Best return for the input you can get.

Next would be the 300 Norma mag imp. Gets rum vel with 10g less powder. We just built one of these and is fast becoming my favorite cartridge. We plan to do the same from 6.5mm up to .375cal.

I just helped a couple of guys with load development that were shooting 30 Nosler and 300wm. The 300wm out ran the 30 Nosler by 150fps with the same bullet. I think the Nosler was a slow rifle but not sure if there is any gain in the Nosler over the wm. I would call it a toss up or lean toward the wm.

Steve

I have had 30-338 lapua's and Lots of custom RUM's 3265fps is the most I ever got 230's going.
My current 300ATLAS is shooting them at 3020fps. that isn't a large reduction in speed for around 20% less in powder not to mention cheaper components.

That's good to know, I have a .30 Lara (.300 Jarrett with 37.5 shoulder angle) and hope to propel the 230s at or near the 3K FPS range out of 27" Lilja 1:9" 3G barrel.

If you were getting 3265 fps from a 300 Rum with 230 Bergers, that is one seriously fast 300 RUM and you must have been running them well above redline.

IMO, I don't consider using Lapua brass as a more expensive component because even if it does cost more initially, it's definitely cheaper in the long run.

If you were getting 3265 fps from a 300 Rum with 230 Bergers, that is one seriously fast 300 RUM and you must have been running them well above redline.

IMO, I don't consider using Lapua brass as a more expensive component because even if it does cost more initially, it's definitely cheaper in the long run.

If comparing good brass to good brass it's still costs more. I don't even shoot lapua's 338 lapua brass anymore as I found Peterson to be better.

I have all custom. and use a custom bore rider reamer in my RUM's.

Is this just an extra long throat??? If not, what's different about it?

it's a tightneck and a longer throat, the bore rider was developed with the lead in being a little different as far as I understand and usually helps get 50-75 more fps. I ordered on in 300RUM and 338Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.