Which 284 cal for new chamber?

chad

I sold my 280ai barrel. Just could not get it to shoot the bullets I wanted to shoot out of it. So gonna get a new barrel . What barrel would you go with? Length and what cal? I want to stay with the .284 caliber.
Try another 280ai? Or what?

Elk and deer. Im thinking seriously about the 7 rsaum.
The .280 AI is an excellent caliber, and one I have been wanting to build for many years.

You could try the old tried & true 7mm RemMag shooting 168-180 Bergers out of a 26" barrel. I think you will be very happy with the results. You might even gain a new favorite caliber. I have been hunting with the 7mmRM since 2002. I have many other 7mm rifles, and many others in many different calibers. I seem to almost always go back to the 7mm RM. It just works. Over the years shot alot of different brands of bullets from 140-160 grains. But the last number of years I have been shooting Berger 168 VLD's around 3,100 fps. Walked into the woods twice in Jan 2013 (didn't get to hunt 2014 season), pulled the trigger twice, walked out with 2 deer. Shots were ~275 and ~175 (in that order). First one ran 10 yards and piled-up by a tree with a perfect entrance and baseball-sized exit (lung shot). Second one, perfect broadside shot, bullet-sized entrance and exit, straight through the heart. Never took a step, hit the ground dead...

I have zero complaints.

I wouldn't have a problem going with the 7 mag. If I could find a sendeo takeoff barrel that wasn't shot much I would go that route.

Any top quality barrel in 7mm Rem Mag, 28 Nosler or .284 Diablo.

But are you set on a long/standard action? If so, then a .280 AI is your best option. Or any actions available?

I sold my 7 mag and had a 280ai built. Happy as can be with it, seems to be way less load sensitive in terms of accuracy than my old 7 mag. Have berger 168VLD's coming out at 3040fps. I think the only other 7mm chambering I would really look at would be the 28 nosler, but gonna not be as pleasant to shoot and barrel life wont be as long, which is what pushed me towards the 280ai, not to mention if you go with that you would have to mill out your bolt face.

I sold my 280ai barrel. Just could not get it to shoot the bullets I wanted to shoot out of it. So gonna get a new barrel . What barrel would you go with? Length and what cal? I want to stay with the .284 caliber.
Try another 280ai? Or what?
You can do anything. Now to try to help, without too much bias.

Since it was a 280AI, keeping it that, with a new fast twist barrel is the "easiest" and "cheapest" solution. You reload/handload so you already have everything you need.

Changing to a chambering with a standard bolt face, .473 base dimension (same as 280AI, 308, etc.) is the next easiest/cheapest. Those include 284 Win and improved versions. Really nothing gained in going that route. Just "different". Note: a .284 Win based design may require "feeding" adjustments.

Changing to a chambering with a "magnum" bolt face, ~.531 base dimension will be the "hardest", most "expensive". A new bolt or bolt work or bolt nose (Savage) will be required. Work on feeding, maybe a new magazine and follower. You could gain ~300 fps for this effort. To me, not worth it.

IIWM: Stick with the 280AI and get the barrel to match the bullets. Say a 7.75 twist or perhaps a 7 or 8 twist depending on the abilities of the barrel maker.

So far the barrels I'm happiest with are Pac-Nor and Benchmark. Price to performance. I have Hart, Bartlien and others as well. If you can stomach the price the Carbon Wrapped Benchmark or a Proof would make a very nice choice. Benchmark being more "CNC" oriented can probably make the twist you want.

All the best.

280 sherman will outperform any 280 with an '06 head size and keeps up well with some magnums. I have reamers and dies in stock......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.