Which chamber, 6mm or 243 ??

PAMONTY

I have a brand new hart heavy barrel 30" long, 6mm with a 1 in 8 twist. Plans are to shoot the 105 Amax or the 107 SMK. could you guys give advice on which caliber to use. I plan to mainly hunt hogs out to about 600 yds with it. I have looked at the standard 6mm and the .243 but something like 243wssm or 243AI are gaining my interest. I have a friend thats shooting a 6x284. So many choices, could you guys help me narrow it don't some? Thanks

It's been a while since my last post, I'm currently serving in Iraq, would like to complete the project after I get home.

Good question .
I chose .243 Ackley because I have a Rem. 700 short action . I was told that 6mm and 6/284 won't fit in the mag if using VLD's seated out close to the lands .I have read that some actions require quite a bit of work on the feed rails to successfully feed the fat .284 case . Worth checking if you are going with a repeater .
Lapua brass is available for the .243 but not the other 2 as I understand it . Many consider it the best available .Worth checking .
No doubt that 6mm AI and 6/284 offer more velocity . Probably 100fps with the 6mm and 150 + with the 6/284 .
Velocities out of my rifle with 26 in. barrel are 55gn 4070 fps , 70 gn 3720 fps , 75gn 3674 fps , 95gn VLD 3270 fps . First 3 maximum . Last one mild .
Initially I was a little concerned that fireform loads would not be accurate but put 4 into 0.15 using Varget and the 70 Nosler B Tip recently . Very happy with my choice so far .Seems to shoot 1/2 in. or better (5 shots) with anything I throw at it .

...right on Aussie... currently breaking in a new .243AI... first five fireforming shots .456... I chose the .243AI over the 6mmAI in order to use the Lapua brass... it's the best for this purpose... also using Lapua for my .22BR... for factory round however, I would go with 6mmRem (little longer neck)... thanks

I will kinda second what the other guys said, but will add the 243 WSSM would be a neat choice. Something a little different if you will...
Your main choice of what action and SS or repeater will be a deciding factor in what caliber you choose.
My pick would go like this:
1. WSSM for SS
2. 243 AI for repeater in a SA
3. 6-284 in a LA repeater
4. Personally don't care for the 6mm Rem, not as popular as the others so it's last.

I shot a 6x284 and 6br with 1/8 twist barrel back then bullets velocity was about 3000fps for best accurate. Does matter which case since only can go so fast. Tubbs has been using a 6x(22-250 case) with a 1/8 twist barrel and some are shooting different forms of that case they say tubbs case is real good out to 600yds. It's funny but back in the late 50's the army was playing with a 6/250 for a 300 meter international shooting and rem made the 40x in a 6 international for awhile off the 250 savage case. What's the new army round case off? . I've got acouple 243 and they kind of wear out barrels alittle faster than the 6mmrem. If going to use as a single shot may want to think about the 6br or 6 dasher also look at the 6/22-250. Dan Dowling of Grand Junction, Co. has been building some 6 Dasher that guys are using in the 1000yd match with those lvd and has had alot of luck as with the 6br. My thing is why burn anymore powder than you have to. Well good luck!

i would recommend the .243win because almost all rifle and ammo company's supply this caliber. i love it because it has all the power u want and has little recoil. with a good scope you can punch 3/4" groups out to 400 yards if you are good.i would reccomend a Leupold Vari-x III from 4.5-about 14x40

I personaly would go with the 243Ai , you have good Lapua brass and it'll give all the velocity that the VLD bullets like and after say 1500 rounds and the throat starts to get a little long you can rechamber to 6mmAi get a little more capacity get 7x57Palua brass and resize (easy one step deal)to 6mm and their you go , then after say 1500 rounds and the throat has grown to far again rechamber to 6-284 and have at it , again you have the choice of great brass. After about maybe 1000 rounds just rebarrel the **** thing to the chamber that you liked the best of the three.
I do feel that the 243Ai will give you all that you want though.

NOTE: all figures above are optimistic on my
part , that figure could be higher but
would probably be lower.

Check out the 6X47 Lapua. It is a necked down 6.5X47 Lapua. The cartridge offers some real advantages. Namely, superb, high pressure brass, ppc type accuracy, and little recoil in a very efficient case design. Reported velocities are 3200 with the 105 a max. The cartridge is dominating F class.

There is a great article on the cartridge on 6mmbr.com. From the home page click on the 6mm topics, you will see it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.