Which 25'06 Ackley brass and dies?

What I don't understand is why people don't want to cut the necks for thickness? Once it done, it's done. I presently have a 6mm/280AI rifle. Been doing some more reading on reamers and number of rifling in the barrel. It's seem to be that the those need to match. Any input on that?

I done the same thing, but having to step down 4 time to achieve .241 ID. I have set up with 4 280AI Redding S FL dies to do the job. I also see more and more on the 280AI case being used. I am thinking of doing a 25/280AI chamber also. I didn't want to pull everything down to change out bushing. I also had to change out the decapping rod too. The 280AI would fit in the 6mm size neck. No load info yet. Rifle is in one state and I am in another.

One word of advice, when you start neck down brass learn to turn necks.
I would not go thicker than .014 - .0145- on a 6.5 cartridge as in a .292 - .293 loaded round.
I went the no turn route first time on my 6.5x300wsm big mistake literally wore the first barrel out it was .300 neck chamber.
The brass necks were way to hard to keep consistent even annealing everytime. A .296-.297 chamber neck is perfect for a 6.5 round running a .292- .293 loaded round.

Presently I have about 500 280AI brass in Peterson. Crushed a couple of cases. in getting down the steps I needed to do to size the neck down. Thinking about getting another 500 Peterson 280AI brass for the 25 caliber set up. I cut my case all to the same length to start with. I turn the neck for thickness next. Case lot is the same. No donuts that way. Make two cuts for thickness. Not all at once. Using a Gen 3 for length and a 21st cty for thickness. I use two cutter set ups to due the thickness cuts. That way I don't have to change anything, and don't try and cut for thickness at one time. I do all the other work too. Volume, flash hole Primer pockets for depth. First firing with a reduced load and bullet against the lends. Already have a 2nd barrel on hand, and reamer if needed or when needed. I don't have it chamber yet. The other is I got the barrel in 32" lengths. Cut back to 30". that way I can rechamber the barrel, and cut the barrel as needed. I anneal after each firing of the cases before sizing FL and bumped. I set up and cut or check for case length each time also. Still getting new equipment for reloading. Been at it for about a year now doing a major upgrade of equipment. Now looking into setting up a 25/280AI rifle. I work towards getting or setting up consistence as possible. I may find other problems as I go. I set and started changing neck sizes about 32 years ago, and cutting necks for thickness about 26 years ago. Been reloading for 60 years now, and still learning.
The other is once I set something for a length or thickness I don't change it.

L.Sherm,

0.292 is my preferred bushing diameter for my 6.5 x 280 AI. I get the best performance with a variety of brass sources from this size, keeping in mind that none of my necks measure more than 0.014".

I'm not as dedicated a ELR shooter as many here are, just a guy who likes to shoot and hunt at long-ish distances and varmint hunt at those distances.

Ed

L.Sherm,

0.292 is my preferred bushing diameter for my 6.5 x 280 AI. I get the best performance with a variety of brass sources from this size, keeping in mind that none of my necks measure more than 0.014".

I'm not as dedicated a ELR shooter as many here are, just a guy who likes to shoot and hunt at long-ish distances and varmint hunt at those distances.

Ed
I am not a match shooter either, but I want my reloads to be as tightest group I can get. The research I have done over the past year, has taken me a lot farther into reload, than ever before. I have always worked towards having good groups, and have used lots of different primers, bullets, powders, cutting necks for even thickness, anneal cases, but the in the pie pan, and used a troch to anneal with. "The gold days" :) The neck turning improved the grouping. The annealing extended the life of the case until the primer pocket would give up. I have changed that and anneal every time now. I always felt that my primer seating was good, but there sure are better ways to do that. I like to shoot varmints and at extended ranges. So my reloads should be the best I can put out. I am a firm believer in one shot one kill. I have learned a lot here, and still learning. On my 6mm the O.D .266 and ID is .241. My reamer end up being a little smaller than what I wanted by .001. I was after .013" wall thickness. Ended up at .0125" thickness. If I don't have any real problems with that. I will stay with that. If not I'll send the reamer back and have them recut it.

L.Sherm,

Ed
I dont know how your necks are .014 and use a .292 bushing.
.264+ .014x2=.292 loaded round
I use a .289 for a .292 loaded round

I dont know how your necks are .014 and use a .292 bushing.
.264+ .014x2=.292 loaded round
I use a .289 for a .292 loaded round
It's quite simple, really;

Start typing using knowledge in my brain, toss in a dyslexic moment added to an interrupting phone call, transpose final loaded round neck diameter and proper bushing diameter (I also use a .289 bushing), leaving the pesky bushing diameter completely out of the conversation.

See, simple...🤪
All I needed to do was to not proofread before hitting the "Post Reply" button.
Ed

😁

Hell!! we all screw up. LOL
Yup, I don't like to screw up anything reloading or shooting related...

My worst "faux pas" (so far) was to list a CCI BR-2 as my primer of choice for some .223 loads. When confronted with exactly how that works, I replied "simple, all it takes is to let my single-shot brain go full-auto when typing. The magic of the keyboard will make anything fit! 😁

Ed

Yup, I don't like to screw up anything reloading or shooting related...

My worst "faux pas" (so far) was to list a CCI BR-2 as my primer of choice for some .223 loads. When confronted with exactly how that works, I replied "simple, all it takes is to let my single-shot brain go full-auto when typing. The magic of the keyboard will make anything fit! 😁

Ed
Isn't that the truth!!