Which 25'06 Ackley brass and dies?

I built a 25-06 Ackley for my daughter a couple years ago. Rem 700, synth stock, 1/7 twist. Used 30-06 Win cases, sized down to standard size with Lee collet dies, half turn and double stroked, then fire formed to get 30 degree shoulder. Did have to turn necks to get .015 wall thickness. I think we ended up with 121HH and 140 AB's, and both shot 5-shot groups under .4 MOA. She was well pleased with her new main rifle.

Redding bushing dies are the only ones I have dealt with so far, but I am hearing that some of there bushing aren't correct to start with. I haven't come across that problem yet. I do know I can size to set neck tension without using a mandrel. I don't know what your process is in turning your neck either. They seem to be good and I use there FL bushing dies. Now I turn all my necks for thickness, and so far I can set my neck tension with the bushing die. I have been doing some reading on spring back, on the neck even after some time with the cases sitting around. I feel that the info I have come across is good. I'll later on, run some tests, on that to see if the necks are changing after sizing, and letting them set for a few weeks and months.
The other I turn all my neck on all my case for thickness.

Well, this project morphed since I posted this. I talked to Berger and Manson and placed an order for a 25-280 Ackley reamer, shoulder the same as the SAMMI 280 Ackley spec. Hopefully a simple neck sizing will yield me brass with approximately 1.5grs more capacity. Not that this will exceed the traditional 25'06 Ackley velocity wise, but hopefully eliminates the turning of necks.

At the same time, I ordered a 6.5-280 Ackley reamer, that will be another chapter in this quest.

Well, this project morphed since I posted this. I talked to Berger and Manson and placed an order for a 25-280 Ackley reamer, shoulder the same as the SAMMI 280 Ackley spec. Hopefully a simple neck sizing will yield me brass with approximately 1.5grs more capacity. Not that this will exceed the traditional 25'06 Ackley velocity wise, but hopefully eliminates the turning of necks.

At the same time, I ordered a 6.5-280 Ackley reamer, that will be another chapter in this quest.
Id use the manson hs gauges also as they provide the proper crush fit ackley used. Dave makes them .004 shorter

REMEMBER: all brass is not the same and lot numbers will change your quality. When I get brass I'll get 3-500 of the same lot.
Well, I have 1200 pieces of Peterson 280 Ackley brass. Two different lot numbers, luckily it works out that I can get a minimum of 400 pieces of brass dedicated to all 3 cartridges. I also have been offered another 500 pieces of the same lot I already have by a coworker.

I am planning on building a 25'06 Ackley with a 7 twist barrel around the Berger 133gr Elite Hunter and 135gr LRH target bullets. I would like to use bushing dies to simplify the necking down of chosen brass and I would really like to avoid turning necks too. I am seeing little info around these two bullets with regard to the 25'06.

My limited research points to Lapua 30'06 brass as a favorite with Remington and Winchester right on their heels.

Since the introduction of SAMMI 280 Ackley brass, is this a viable option?

Edit: looking at the SAMMI drawings the shoulder on the 280 Ackley is too far forward.

I haven't gotten far on the die or reamer research, but I am still looking back at previous threads and builds on various forums.

Thanks
I can't answer your question but have one of my own as I am thinking of building a similar rifle. Can you simply fireform factory 25-06 brass like you can with the 280 Ai?

I will call them this morning and add that to the order.

Edit:

Read the reviews on the bottom, I found some of this information very confusing

280 Ackley SAMMI Reamers
There is no difference in the 280ai versions as long as the 40 degree shoulder is maintained. The difference everyone refers to is the placement of the datum line on the shoulders. They are the same cartridge. I would always use Dave Manson AI headspace gauges since they are made with the .004 crush fit ackley used and make a better fit for firing factory ammo of the parent cartridge.

Perhaps this will help explain the confusion.

I will be using 280 Ackley brass since my reamer is based on the SAMMI spec 280 Ackley cartridge.

I watched that video and read the original article, I wasn't confused by the article as much as I was by the comments posted afterwards.

If you take the article at its word, the only thing you have to concern yourself with is dies, making sure that your dies are post 2010. Even then, the article explains that you can adjust the old dies to compensate and then the only concern is fireforming resized 280 Remington brass in the SAMMI chamber if you didn't allow for the .014" difference.

I can't answer your question but have one of my own as I am thinking of building a similar rifle. Can you simply fireform factory 25-06 brass like you can with the 280 Ai?
From everything I have read, yes, but the neck length will be slightly shorter, hence the reason everyone uses the sister brass, and then you have to watch neck thickness.

just adjust your sizing die- I have my case gauge cut the same time my chambers are cut along with my die use L.E.Wilson stock for my dies- cost up front pays for itself in the long run stay with the same brass and no need to change bushings keeping the same shell holder makes a difference. Keep a lot of the Bench Shooters practices alive with my other reloading practices now past -well a long time anyway !!!!
Darryle I would say you have plenty of 280 brass all my AI brass is sacred that goes for the 25-06 AI, 6MM06 AI, 280 AI , 257 AI Back then there was no commercial headstamp brass and Had large supply of LC06 Match Brass. in the same lots boxes have since fallen apart brass still good and annealing goes a long way.
Shot straight and often.

Last edited: