Whether to use horse on DIY Colorado 3rd season elk hunt

I can't believe an elk hunter would diss Jeremiah Johnson movie, especially elk shot scene over the horse. Cuts me deep.

Sorry, I hope it didn't hurt too bad. I haven't seen the Jeremiah Johnson movie, probably won't, either. I gave up on all things Hollywood a long time ago when actors decided that my life wasn't complete without knowing what their opinions are on stuff that I care about. Same thing with sports.
I haven't turned on a tv in 5 1/2 years and life is good!

Good luck on the hunt and enjoy your time with the horses!

Most hunters here realize the benefits of having a horse with you. Personally, I wouldn't go without one. The horse is your friend and the altitude won't bother him like it will you. Elk don't give a hoot about horses and will not be spooked at all. Plus, elk don't count so very well, so if you spot a shooter but can't get a good angle on him, leave the horse tied up where he can be seen while you sneak off to get that perfect shot. Might be considered dirty pool by some, but all's fair when it comes to elk hunting!

Give the horse a break when it comes to really rough terrain. Get off and walk a ways to prevent you & the horse from parting ways. If you poop out, a big handful of horse tail will help you along... just, be prepared for the "exhaust." Solid, liquid or gaseous, it's inevitable when following a horse!
Cheers,
crkckr

It would depend on your ability to ride, anybody can hang a leg on each side, but riding alone in high country takes a good seat. I cowboy and team rope but there are a lot of horses out there that I won't get on, a spoiled horse is almost as much a problem as a bronc. I would use a horse to get to my hunting area, hobble and tie him (if he's hobble broke) and hunt on foot. I've seen a lot of elk from the saddle but getting off and getting your rifle and securing your horse and then getting away to get a shot is usually a loosing proposition. As far as shooting from horseback, you will be lucky to hit a barn at 100 yards and then be ready for a bronc ride! Horses that you can shoot off of are few and far between. Make sure you have insurance, horses are born looking for a place to get hurt! I'm no expert, just a cowboy with a lot of years of experience.
I would use his horse, just be realistic about your ability and expectations.

Haven't seen Jeremiah Johnson!!!!, that's plain unamerican hahaha. Love that movie " can you skin grizz"!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.