Where to move?

I live a little way outside of Boise and its not a bad place to live. Decent hunting and tags are over the counter. If you come here you must leave every trace of CA behind.

Ya I know I'm almost tempted to sell my vehicles here, fly to where ever I'm going to move and buy a new( to me) truck there so I'm not running around with California plates being hated on everywhere I go haha. But seriously I'm not even joking I thought about it

What a coincidence; my wife and I was watching TV and they were doing Montana made products and they were doing lots of welding. Never heard of the company before or know much about but it's a family owned business in Missoula >>> Lifting Technologies Inc. - Safe, High Quality Crane-Suspended and Forklift-Mounted Personnel Platforms (Manbasket - Man Basket) - Lift Tech - LiftTech

There's a new company from Canada here in Great Falls that do lots of welding but cannot remember the name at this time.

ADDED:

Found it >>> http://www.adfgroup.com/facilities/great-falls-montana-usa

Good luck!

I'm not nessesarally wanting to weld for a career. I kinda fell into the job I have now and it hasn't been bad but just not what I want to do for 25+ more years. I will probably do some sort of law enforcement weather it's fish and game/wildlife, state trooper, or city/county

Aberdeen South Dakota is where it's at. Great Walley fishing, phesant, duck and goose hunting. Little over an hour to some excellent prarie dog hunting.Town is about 29000. Got everything you need. No rush hour traffic to deal with. Unemployment rate hovers around 2.5%. Lots of jobs. Reasonable housing and no state income tax.
I moved here about 2 years ago and love it. If you want to get into the printing industry I may even have a job for you.

Guys, quit talking up the Dakotas... They suck, they suck, they suck !!!!!
(I have lived elsewhere twice and came back both times though so don't trust my judgment)

p.s., welding can be a gateway to getting into a power plant or other industry where there is plenty of scratch to be made. Do not overlook using your current trade as a stepping stone to other things.

A life long friend moved to South Dakota last year and loves it so I was already considering it, and I'm defiently aware of how one "crappy" job can lead to something great I'm basically saying I don't want to sit with a welding gun in my hand for the next 25+ years 8 hours a day every day like I have been doing. I have a lot of research to do and I'm compiling info from every source I come across. Thanks guys. Everything helps

Been traveling U.S. and western Canada for going on forty years,I guess my top three picks in U.S. are: Montana/Idaho border region,Black Hills of South Dakota is a tie for first place,and anywhere in Wyoming.

Have'nt been to Alaska yet,don't know that I'd come home if I went,probly not.
Best wishes to you young man.

You could do a lot worse than Wyoming. Gillette has openings right now for welders. Good wages for lots of professions. One of the better jobs to look at is in the open pit coal mines. Most work a rotating shift so get 7 days straight off in every 28 day cycle. Allows you to get that hunting fishing time in!
Good deer/elk/antelope hunting. I have filled all 3 of those tags this year. Additional tags available for female animals of all 3 species are available. The fishing is decent. I got a 11.75 lb walleye 9 days ago. Great schools for kids. No state income tax. State is well managed with plenty of money. Just a good place to live. Bruce

I don't want to sit with a welding gun in my hand for the next 25+ years 8 hours a day every day like I have been doing.
I hear ya! If you can make a living doing what you enjoy most in life then that is what you go for. I'm 71 now and after Marines, Vietnam and GI Bill University I decided I wasn't really into cities or 9-5 jobs and offices....worked with North Carolina Game and Fish for a while then became a Park Ranger and never looked back. Would I do it over again? In a heartbeat. Doesn't really matter much where you work it is always the people you work for and/or with that makes the most difference.

I grew up in N OH, and we used to go on vacations in S MI. Perhaps for that reason, I still like that area - a lot.

Prices are pretty reasonable, people are fairly normal, and there is a lot of outdoor recreation.

We need every pro-gun vote we can muster here in California and you want to abandon us. Not sure if I want to support such a notion.
For hunting and work, take a look at the oil field developments in the Dakotas. They'll use welders and the hunting in that region, stretching from the Dakotas clear back west to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, etc. is really good.
Second choice, somewhere in Idaho. I have a cousin living there (he is 100 miles from everything up near the Canadian border) and loves it. Can't get him back to California either. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.