Where to move?

sasaholic

I'm tired of California atleast for now and want a change. I'm super outdoorsy and am at home outside. I'm 25 and not a gamer or office job type of person. I'm looking at Montana, Colorado, possibly North Dakota, or Idaho. As you can tell I'm just starting with thing and it can honestly be anywhere. I absolutely have to get close to decent hunting and fishing and would love to live in a cabin 100miles from anywhere but that's not feasible since I have to find work. I'm currently a welder, but a fast learner and could probably do just about anything. Given this loose criteria where would you guys look? Or where do you live if it meets my wants and needs.

IMO Colorado seems to be more Californian than California at the moment.

IIWM Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, New Mexico,

Coeur d' alene in northern idaho is very nice area i'd check it out.....what part of california are you from me and my family are from the modesto area, we moved here to AR in 05....couer d' alene has some awesome bass fishing the lake there is ranked #3 in the U.S. by bassmaster and plenty of hunting, but it does have a wolf problem....its a very nice city and spokane washington isnt to far away so there should be plenty of opportunity to find a good job.

If I could do it all over with I would have just stayed in Kansas when my wife and I got married. This is where I would live. There is something about the Midwest I love as well as the people out there. I would go to Abilene, Kansas. This town is very close to Milford lake and as far as hunting goes the deer and turkey populations are great. They also have some areas that are pretty good for bird hunting (pheasant and such). The coyote populations are pretty good out there as well. The lake is by far enough to keep anyone busy. There is plenty of fish. As far as jobs I'm sure you could find something near or on Ft. Riley Kansas that would be right up your alley for experience. I would also suggest though that you actually go to the place you consider and spend a week there and do some driving locally. Meet some people and try to get a feel for the area before you take the plunge.

Abilene, KS - Visiting Abilene
Milford / Locations / State Parks / KDWPT - KDWPT

Colorado being California right now is exactly what I was worried about. I forgot to add I hate weed. I'm from Northern California. 80 miles north of sacramento. I need mountains atleast close. Geographically I love nothern california In 30 minutes I can be in the mountains, close to quite a few very good lakes, and can be ocean fishing in 3 hours. It's just time for a change and everything political about California plain sucks.

Because of the oil boom in ND, they are always looking for welders. Do doubt you would make a good living.

Because of the oil boom in ND, they are always looking for welders. Do doubt you would make a good living.

And I have thought about doing exactly that for a year or so living as cheaply as possible which is hard around there since everyone knows how much people are making and cost of living is stupid high; and then taking a year to just travel and hunt

Reason Colorado has so many Californians and New Mexico has so many forest fires is that New Mexico had first choice.

To the people suggesting Idaho I have been to boise and everything surrounding it within a few hour radius and it was beautiful. I don't really want to be that close to a huge city but something in an outlying area does look pretty appealing

And I have thought about doing exactly that for a year or so living as cheaply as possible which is hard around there since everyone knows how much people are making and cost of living is stupid high; and then taking a year to just travel and hunt
No kidding, a two bedroom apartment is about $2000 a month.

Reason Colorado has so many Californians and New Mexico has so many forest fires is that New Mexico had first choice.
That is the funniest thing i have read in a long time.

To the people suggesting Idaho I have been to boise and everything surrounding it within a few hour radius and it was beautiful. I don't really want to be that close to a huge city but something in an outlying area does look pretty appealing

There's some good areas over there (McCall, Weiser,). There's quite a few libertards (as some like to call them, AKA "transplants") right in Boise. My side of the state is different. It's also colder in the winter which I suppose helps keep some from transplanting.

Libtards are exactly what I'm trying to get away from here. I don't mind cold weather and don't plan on moving until summer of 2015 so I have time to get things in order and do plenty of research.

I live a little way outside of Boise and its not a bad place to live. Decent hunting and tags are over the counter. If you come here you must leave every trace of CA behind.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.