where to go from here

jpw360

So after playing around with my xbolt 7mm rem mag...i found a load tha works like magic....57.3 g of imr4831 with hotnady 154 g bullet and ogive sitting at 2.694...at 300 yards im gettin all bullets touching each other. ...o ever 3 bullets and only 2 wholes side by side.....is that sufficient to take it right out to 800 yards...or should i do 100 yds increment at a time....whatsbur take....?

So after playing around with my xbolt 7mm rem mag...i found a load tha works like magic....57.3 g of imr4831 with hotnady 154 g bullet and ogive sitting at 2.694...at 300 yards im gettin all bullets touching each other. ...o ever 3 bullets and only 2 wholes side by side.....is that sufficient to take it right out to 800 yards...or should i do 100 yds increment at a time....whatsbur take....?
Shoot it as far as you want. If your groups don't hold MOA beyond a given range then you've probably exceeded either your capability or the capability of the bullet you are using.

Which hornady bullet are you using?

If you are punching holes in paper, I'd say go for it. If you are looking to take game at 800 yards, I'd go in 100 yard increments out to 800. I would not want to chance wounding an animal due the bullet landing somewhere other than where your crosshairs point.

Shoot it as far as you want. If your groups don't hold MOA beyond a given range then you've probably exceeded either your capability or the capability of the bullet you are using.

Which hornady bullet are you using?

Im using Hornady 154g SST

I also have 168 bergers and 162 hornady sst and have yet to find the load that works best on this rifle. But thise 154g sst work like magic in this rifle

With the Bergers, you might want to try a slower burning powder... Like Reloder 22, H1000, IMR 7828 SSC, etc...

4831 is too fast for heavy bullets, especially in a magnum caliber.

With the Bergers, you might want to try a slower burning powder... Like Reloder 22, H1000, IMR 7828 SSC, etc...

4831 is too fast for heavy bullets, especially in a magnum caliber.

Tha probability explaind why i couldnt get anything consistent after trying all recommend loads stating points....i will definitely give Reloader 22 a try..i was kinda.

Im using Hornady 154g SST

I also have 168 bergers and 162 hornady sst and have yet to find the load that works best on this rifle. But thise 154g sst work like magic in this rifle
I really like the Hornady's overall. I have found the SST to be more explosive than I like though at under 300yds with the 7mm STW and 300wm.

My preference is the Interbond, they never blow up and they always expand

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.