Where to go for coyotes?

Yes, Geoffrey Corn is the 'smith I referred to. I'm down in Carterville now, but will be moving back to White County soon. That'll be spittin' distance from Olney.

Have the deer hunters locked up all the ground there yet, or do they still let you bust a coyote?

confused.gif

Speedbump

I have plenty of ground to hunt on. The problem is, after deer season the hound hunters have them scattered to hell and back. I hope the hunters are tired and the yotes settled down by late Jan.
My buddy has acess to a lot of ground in WHITE Co. also.
Goeff is building my Dad a 260IMP in the next week or two for a F-Class gun. Should be a hoot.
Let me hear from you if you want to hunt. It's a 25 min drive from White.

Bill

Bill,

I think I remember you from a 500 yard match at Red Brush last year. If I recall, you were shooting a 308 tactical rifle in F-class & doing well.

The hunt sounds good. Not many hound hunters down here, & plenty of critters.
cool.gif

Speed

Yes the 308 does shoot well. I had Geoff build me a 260 tactical rifle for hunting and F-Class matches. It shoots quite well also.
What caliber do you shoot? F-Class?

Bill
grin.gif

Bill,

I mainly shoot conventional LR with a 7mmRUM and some Palma, both of which were built by Geoff & Joe in Oakland City. My service rifle is a Bill Wylde built AR-15.

Traylor did well with his 260AI - 6th in the nation in F-class ain't too shabby for a one-armed Hoosier!
shocked.gif

Len,I have some good spots in SW Wisconsin.When the snow flies there are lots of good areas over by Prairie Du Chien.Hilly ag with hardwood bottoms.Give me a e-mail if you are interested or any of you guys that want a place to shoot at some distance-most shots are going to be from 100yds to maybe 500 or so [email protected]

Speed

We have something in common, gunsmiths. I have a short AR built by Bill for a critter getter. I put 4 of 5 shots in .154 @ 200 last weekend with it. I know it's a fluke, but it looks neet on my shop wall. on good no wind days it is easyly 1/2 min to 500yards.
My Dad and I shot down at the nationals also and we saw how well Jeff shot (8th I believe). We came back the next day and changed the caliber form 260 to 260 IMP. Very impressive match cartridge. A 142 @ 2850 fps with 43 gr of powder.
Last day of deer season today, so will be out tomorrow checking to see i fthere are any full lazy yotes out in the open
grin.gif

Bill

Len,

If you want to hunt long range coyotes go to northern PA. Elk,Mckean,Centre counties are good. Climb up a mountain and you can shoot a long ways.Its mostly all public land and there is a pretty good number of 'yotes. In january and feburaury there will be snow and visibility would is good.

I may want to do some long range coyote hunting this winter or early spring. Maybe guided...maybe not. (I have no experience)

How far from Wisconsin would I need to go?
Years ago,there were many coyotes around Iron Mountain WY. Buy private ranches...you need to ask!